450 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
SAMUEL W. COURTRIGHT, Circleville. Judge Courtright was born on his father's farm in Walnut township, Pickaway county, Ohio, December 9, 1842. His parents were Honorable Jesse D. and Sallie (Stout) Courtright, the former a native of Fairfield county, and the latter of Pickaway county, Ohio. The Courtright family were of Dutch and the Stout of English descent, but both have been for so tang a period residents of the new world as to almost have lost their foreign identity. Judge Courtright is a-lineal descendant of the Von Courtrights who came to America from Amsterdam in the seventeenth century and settled on Staten Island when it was yet a Dutch colony. Jesse Von Courtright, of Revolutionary fame, was a captain in the Continental army, and served during most of the seven years' struggle for independence. After the termination of the war he removed to Pennsylvania, and in accordance with his Democratic principles, dropped the title prefixed to his name, which from thenceforth went down to posterity as Courtright. John Courtright, the grandfather of the judge, came to Ohio with his family from his Pennsylvania homestead in the year 1802, traveling over the mountains and through the forests in a three-horse wagon, and settled in Fairfield county near Royalton. He became a large land owner and a prominent and progressive citizen, building the first brick house in his community. From the Fairfield county homestead the family scattered, Jesse D., the father of our subject, locating in Pickaway county. The Stout family came to Ohio in the latter part of the eighteenth century and settled in Fairfield county, where some branches of the family still reside. Judge Courtright was sixth in a family of nine children, and, like other farmers' sons of the period, his boyhood days were spent between the district school house and assisting with work on his father's farm, the farm receiving the greatest proportion of his time. His common school education was supplemented by a course at the Salem Academy, which he left in 1861 to take up the study of law in the office of D. M. Jones of Circleville. Scholarship cannot be measured by the length of time spent in college, but is correctly gauged by the degree of perseverance with which the student pursues his studies. Young Courtright has been a hard and faithful student and was well advanced when he took up the study of law. In October, 1862, he entered the Law Department of the Cincinnati College, from which he was graduated in 1863 with the degree of LL. B. He at once began the practice of his profession in Circleville. His qualifications and native ability were soon recognized by the public by electing him the next year to the office of city solicitor, to which he was re-elected at the close of his first term. In 1867 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Pickaway county, serving in that capacity for two terms. In 1875 he was elected to the Bench of the Court of Common Pleas, of the Third Subdivision of the Fifth Judicial District, without opposition, and at the time was the youngest judge in the State. He retained the position for five years, since when he has given his time entirely to his practice and to his private business. In his practice he has been eminently successful and has gained an honorable distinction both as a jurist and as a lawyer. For over a quarter of a century he has been
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 451
prominent in his profession, recognized arid honored as a public-spirited, citizen and a leader in his community. In, politics he is a Democrat, and though he has helped many others to get into office, he has never accepted office for himself outside his profession. He has, however, held many positions of trust without remuneration. He was for a number of years a member of the board of education of the union schools, serving for five years as president of the board. He served on the military staff of Governor George Hoadly from 1884 to 1886. with the rank of colonel, and rendered important services during the Cincinnati riots of 1885. He. was also an important member of Governor Campbell's staff, ranking as formerly, under Governor Hoadly, from 1890 to 1892. He was for a number of years, by appointment of Supreme Court, a member of the board of commissioners for examination of candidates for admission to the Bar. He is prominent in fraternal circles, being one of the widest known Masons in the State. In that order he is now and has been Worshipful Master of Pickaway Lodge No. 23, Free and Accepted Masons, is M. E. High Priest of Circleville Chapter No. 20, Royal Arch Masons, and is serving in that capacity for the twenty-second year. Has been thrice Iilustrious Master of Tyrian Council No.'60, Royal and Select Masters, and Eminent Commander of Scioto Commandery No. 35, Knights Templar. Was Grand Master of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Master for three ,years, declining a re-election. In Scottish Rite Masonry, has attained the thirty-second degree. Has been Grand Dictator of the Knights of Honor of Ohio and was thrice representative to the Supreme Lodge. He is also Past Chief Patriarch of the order of Odd Fellows, and is an active member of the Presbyterian Church. He was married December 14, 1865, to Miss Jennie R., daughter of Major Z. R. Martin, a prominent citizen of Circleville. They have three children, Florence B., Jennie B., and Marguerite B. The judge has gained a handsome competence and resides with his family in one of the most tasteful and elegant homes in the city. Referring to his standing in his profession and as a citizen, one of the well known members of the Pickaway county Bar remarked : "Judge Courtright is a. very successful lawyer and has a very large practice, which is a general one and reaches all the courts of the State; he is able both as a trial and as a chancery lawyer; he is quick to grasp the facts in a case and is accurate in his judgment; he is strongest possibly as a trial lawyer. Before a jury he is very effective; in his addresses he is both eloquent and logical and builds up a convincing argument. He is thoroughly reliable, and one of the things that have contributed to his large clientage is the perfect candor and fairness with which he has treated all who approach him for legal advice. As an attorney he stands high in his profession and has the confidence and respect of his brethren in the practice wherever he is known."
452 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
JULIUS C. POMERENE, Coshocton. A study of the early history of the members of the Bench and Bar of Ohio who have succeeded in practice and risen to prominence in their profession discloses the interesting fact that the majority of them were reared on a farm. Honorable Julius C. Pomerene, one of the judges of the Fifth Judicial Circuit, belongs to that class whose theoretical and practical education went hand in hand. He alternated his boyhood days between his text-books in the district school and practical lessons in industry and management of his father's farm. He was born on the farm in Holmes county, June 27, 1835. His parents were Julius and Elizabeth (Piersol) Pomerene, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former of French and the latter Welsh descent. The founders of the American branch of the family earned their title to citizenship by personal service in the war for independence. Julius Pomerene, the grandfather of the judge, came to America as a soldier in the army of General La Fayette, and participated in the glorious results which followed the advent of the army in the struggle. He married and settled in Pennsylvania, where he lived until his death, in 1795, and where his posterity resided until Judge Pomerene's father removed with his family to Holmes county, Ohio, in 1819, and settled on the tract of land where he spent the remainder of his days, leading the useful and independent life of an agriculturist. He died in 1863. Julius attended the district school and assisted with the work on the farm until he reached the age of seventeen, when he entered Mount Union College, where he remained for two years. He did not have the means to take an uninterrupted course through college. He spent his summers and vacations at work on the farm, teaching and attending school during the fall and winter. He thus spent one year at the Haysville Academy, afterwards engaging in teaching. He followed the educational work for an aggregate of about three years. In 1857 he took up the study of law in the office of Hoagland & Reed, leading attorneys of the Holmes county Bar, at Millersburg, and continued for one year, when he, entered the Ohio State and Union Law College, at Cleveland, from which he was graduated in June, 1859. In November of the same year he began the practice of his profession at Coshocton, which he continued in an unbroken series of years until he was elected to the Circuit Court Bench in 1892. His first partnership was with Colonel Josiah Given, now one of the judges on the Supreme Bench of Iowa. This connection continued until the breaking out of the Civil War. After practicing alone for about eighteen months, he formed an association with Benjamin S. Lee, maintaining the relation for six years, when the firm was. dissolved. His next partner was Etherington T. Spangler, a partnership that remained in effect for fifteen years. On the dissolution of this copartnership Mr. Pomerene continued the practice alone until 1886, when he took his eldest son, William R., into the business. This arrangement continued until January 1, 1893, when he entered upon his duties as judge. In the thirty-three years Judge Pomerene was in the active practice at the Coshocton county Bar, he gained the confidence and respect of the public in that section of the State ; built up a clientage that was lucrative, eminently respectable in its character,
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 453
and created a high reputation for legal acumen. Referring to his standing in the profession and as a citizen, a prominent practitioner of the Coshocton Bar observed :
" There is not a man in Coshocton county who is more highly respected as a citizen than Judge Pomerene. He is a gentleman both by nature and education. He is upright in his intercourse with his fellow citizens, and has a thorough appreciation of the rights of others. He is a man of firm convictions, though not dogmatical in enforcing his views on others. He is open, frank and sincere in his manners, and has the confidence and esteem of all those who come to know him well. As a lawyer he has long been one of the foremost at this bar. He is conscientious with his clients and is regarded as a safe counsellor. He had a large practice before he went on the Bench, which was of a general nature, though he had more chancery practice, perhaps, than business in open court. He is recognized as one of the best read lawyers in this section of the State, and is eminently qualified for the judicial ermine."
Judge Pomerene has honored his profession and his profession has honored him. When, in 1892, he was nominated by the Democratic party as their candidate for one of the judges of the Fifth Judicial District, the selection was at once recognized as one of peculiar fitness, and he received the actual or quiescent endorsement of all other political parties in every county in the district. This compliment to his worth and ability appears in a much stronger light after the fact is known that both his colleagues on the Circuit Bench are of opposite political faith. Concerning his characteristics as a judge, said an old and able practitioner of the central Ohio Bar :
" Judge Pomerene is an able jurist. He is adapted by' nature and education for a judge. He has an equitable mind, and is well grounded in the principles of the law. He is clear and concise in his statements of questions of law, and eminently just in his decisions. He is conservative and safe rather than brilliant, and his judgment has been well sustained by the Supreme Court. The purity of his life, the honesty of his purpose, and his close adherence to the practice of law, to the exclusion of everything else since he entered the profession, are other elements of his character that have raised him in the esteem of the members of the Bar in the district. He has maintained himself - well in the position of judge and fully met the expectations of those who placed him there."
In his political faith Judge Pomerene is Democratic, though he has never been conspicuous in party politics. He was a member of the board of education for ten years. He was married in 1862, to Miss Irene Perky, daughter of Dr. John F. and Julia Perky, of Hancock county, Ohio. They have three .children—William R., Frank E. and Helen. William R. was born March 19, 1864. He received his primary education in the public schools of Coshocton, graduating from the high school in the class of 1879. He then entered Wooster College, but finished the course at the Ohio State University, at Columbus. He studied law for one year in his father's office, after which he entered the Law School of the Cincinnati College, from which he was graduated in 1886. He was admitted to the Bar the same year, and entered on the practice of law at once, in partnership with his father, under the firm name of. J. C. & W. R. Pomerene. This association continued until .the senior member of the firm
454 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
went on the Circuit Court Bench. He was alone in the practice thereafter until 1895, when his brother came into the business. Frank E. Pomerene was born March 25, 1868. He was graduated from the Coshocton high school in 1885, and from the Ohio State University in 1891. He read law in the office of W. R. Pomerene for two years, and graduated from the Law Department of the Ohio State University in 1895. He .was admitted to the Bar in June, 1895. He began the practice of his profession at once in partnership with his brother, and is now the junior member of the firm of Pomerene & Pomerene. The young men are maintaining themselves well in their practice, and are highly spoken of by the profession.
PALMER C. SMITH, Circleville. Mr. Smith is a native of New York, where he was reared until he reached his majority. He was born near Whites-town, in Oneida county, July 31, 1823. His parents were Joseph O. and Harriet (Cone) Smith, both natives of New York and of English extraction. Both families were also early settlers, coming to America in colonial days. Our subject traces his.ancestry back to Plymouth Rock and the good ship Mayflower, hence comes of the real pioneer stock. Mr. Smith's parents were agriculturists and he was raised on a farm and received a good academic education, working on the farm in the summer season and attending school in the winter. On attaining his majority he came to Ohio, stopping first at London, where he obtained a position as teacher in the public schools. He followed this avocation for two years, occupying his leisure hours in fitting himself for the legal profession in the office of his brother-in-law, Honorable H. W. Smith, of London. He was admitted to the Bar December 1, 1846, at the old Supreme Court House in Columbus. He entered on the practice of his profession the following spring at Circleville, where he has been in continuous practice eversince. In 1849 he formed a partnership with Judge Jones, who later removed to Delaware, Ohio. This connection continued until 1856. Early in his career Mr. Smith took rank with the leading attorneys of the county, and though he did not affiliate with the party in power he was twice elected to the office of city solicitor, and once elected prosecuting attorney of Pickaway county in the earlier years of his practice. He has the distinction of being the oldest practicing attorney in Pickaway county, and among the best all around lawyers in this section of the State. He is purely a lawyer and has a high appreciation of his profession, and has never slighted it to engage in any other calling or avocation. His practice is general and he has a very large clientage both in court and chancery practice, and reaches all the courts of the State and in the District and Supreme Court of the United States. He is an easy and graceful speaker, cautious, logical and convincing before a court or jury, and has the reputation of always being fair in the treatment of his opponents. The present firm of Smith & Morris was formed June, 1877. Despite his seventy-four years, Mr. Smith is one of the most active attorneys at the Circleville Bar, and has the
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 455
appearance of a man many years younger. He is sprightly as a man of fifty and has the same easy bearing, jovial disposition and entertaining manners that made him a favorite both in the profession and out of it forty years ago. In his political principles Mr. Smith is a Republican, and as he is a man of positive convictions on any subject, is naturally of the stalwart kind, and has been an active worker at times in support of his party. He has repeatedly been chosen chairman of the county executive committee and many times delegate to State conventions. He was married December 14, 1858, to Miss Sarah Osborn, a native of Columbus, and daughter of Ralph Osborn, one of the early settlers of Circleville, and for nearly seventeen years auditor of State. Three daughters are the fruits of this union. Said one of the leading practitioners of the Circleville Bar, referring to Mr. Smith's standing in the profession
" Mr. Smith belongs to that class of lawyers who have always been an honor tothe profession. He has not belittled it by turning aside for honors in any other calling. He is a man of scholarly attainments, has always been a close student of current literature as well as of his law books. He has one of the finest law libraries in the county and is recognized as one of the best read lawyers at this Bar. He has stood in the front rank at this Bar for many years and has a large and lucrative practice. He is a good all round lawyer, but is strongest perhaps as a trial lawyer, and as such we have no better in this section of the State. He is quick to perceive both the strong and weak points in a case, and is an adept in bringing out the weaknesses of his opponents, though he never stoops to take a mean advantage. He is both strong and impressive before a jury, and is a successful attorney. Personally he is one of the most companionable of men. He is an entertaining conversationalist, possesses a large fund of humor and a word of cheer for everybody he meets, either in his office or on the street. He has the respect and esteem of the profession, and no man is held in greater respect by the public than is Palmer C. Smith."
THOMAS A. LOGAN, Cincinnati. Thomas Ackley Logan was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, January 25, 1829. He is the son of Cornelius Ambrosius Logan and Elizabeth Ackley Logan, who were the parents of a family remarkable for its intellectual and artistic achievements. The father had been educated for the priesthood, but after a varied experience as a seaman, editor and dramatic writer, he became an actor, in which profession, both in tragedy and comedy roles, he was very successful. He wrote several popular plays and a celebrated defense of the stage, as well as various tales and poems. His son, a brother of Thomas, was a distinguished physician, writer and editor, and also minister of the United States to Chili, Guatemala and again to Chili. The daughters were Eliza, Olive and Celia, the two former being celebrated actresses, and Olive and Celia both well known writers. Thomas A. Logan prepared himself in early life to engage in business, but Judge Key, of the Commercial Court of Cincinnati, was attracted to him by his clear testimony in an equity case pending in his court and induced the
456 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
parents to train the boy for the Bar. He studied in the office of the late Timothy Walker, and was so successful in his preparation that be took the first honors of his class at the Cincinnati Law College. General Winfield Scott presented his diploma to him in a very congratulatory speech. He was admitted to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Ohio April 9, 1851, and of the United States Court in October, 1885. After his admission to the Bar he remained a year in Judge Walker's office, which he left to assume the duties of the office of city prosecuting attorney, to which he had been elected by the people. He resumed the practice at the expiration of his term and has held no other public office. A t the outset of his career he imbibed from Judge Walker a strong belief in codifica-. tion and for many years was an earnest advocate of the code system as distinguished from the old common law procedure, contributing a number of articles on the subject to the old Western Law Monthly and other kindred publications. He has always taken great interest in all methods of law reform tending to introduce simpler forms of practice and to free his profession from the bane of technicalities. His early experience gave him an excellent command of criminal law and in later life he gave a great deal of attention and study to insurance and commercial law, and the law relating to wills. To fit himself for a more thorough understanding of causes involving mental capacity and the questions of sanity, he took a complete course in medicine and anatomy and is such an expert in handling cases of this character that his services have been called for from many parts of the country. He is a very fluent talker, has a fine physical presence and has always been regarded as a very powerful advocate. Mr. Logan is an enthusiastic student of natural history and particularly of ichthyology. He was one of the founders of the Cuvier Club, whose purpose is the preservation and protection of game, and was for many years the corresponding secretary of the club. He has been a member of the executive committee on law of the International Association for Protecting Fish and Game, and president of a similar State organization for Ohio. In 1853 he married Jennie, daughter of Captain Joseph Thornton, one of the old residents of Cincinnati. To them were born three children, of whom George W. Logan, an ensign in the navy of the United States, alone survives. Mr. Logan married a second time Mary Nichols, of Boston, Massachusetts, whose family is one of the oldest in New England.
ALEXANDER BOTKIN HUSTON, Cincinnati. If it was true of the subject of this sketch, as has been said of a certain great man once in office, that " we love him for the enemies he has made," our estimate of. him would be overshadowed by the overwhelming confidence, love and esteem he enjoys among his fellows, especially among the members of the Bar with whom he has associated as lawyer and judge since 1854. In his character we find an unusual depth of thought, breadth of learning, a reverence for truth, morality
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 457
and right, a love for domestic life and the society of his family ; he delights in the association of friends, enjoys keen humor and reads Shakespeare as a literary dessert after the day is done. He is " to the manner born," indeed ; a son of Paul C. and Esther Phillips Huston, who resided at his birth, December 7, 1829, in Colerain township, Hamilton county, Ohio. He comes from sturdy stock. His ancestors on his father's side were Scotch-Irish ; on his mother's, English. His great-grandfather, John Huston, emigrated from County Antrim, Ireland, in colonial times and settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania. He was a soldier in the war for independence and was killed, or died from the effects of exposure, at the battle of Brandywine. His grandfather, Paul Huston, With two brothers, Samuel and David, came to Cincinnati in 1794, with but $150 in silver, for which he was offered large tracts of land in and near the town, but like many others, he preferred to push out into the wilderness, and following the trail of General St. Clair's army he located on a large tract of land in Hamilton county, near its northern boundary, erecting thereon a frontier log cabin (that gave way in 1834 to a substantial brick house, which has been the family homestead ever since), in which the subject of this sketch was born; and to this day the neighborhood is known as the " Huston Settlement," in honor of his grandfather, father and brothers, who constituted in large measure the citizenship of that community. What is now known as the Cincinnati and Hamilton turnpike was for many years designated " Huston Road." Paul C. and Esther Huston lived together fifty-four years. To them ten children were born, seven sons and three daughters, the fourth in the order of birth being Alexander B. Huston. His early boyhood was spent on the farm and in attendance at the township school, where his love for books asserted itself, and his ambition to attain knowledge was his pre-eminent characteristic. He began the studies of Latin and French in the district school, and in his fourteenth year entered Cary's Academy, which during his term became Farmers' College. Associated with him were ex-President Harrison, Bishop Walden, Murat Halstead, Honorable Lewis B. Gunckle and the Nixon brothers of the Chicago Inter Ocean. He was graduated in his eighteenth year, having remained in school one year longer than necessary on account of his youth. Three years later he received his A. M. degree, and subsequently became a director in the college. As a student he was equally proficient in mathematics and the classics, preferring the latter. In 1848 be began the study of law, clerking during the day in the office of County Clerk Edward C. Roils, and later as chief deputy under James McMasters. He was admitted to the Bar in 1852, and after a lapse of two years began the practice of his profession, in which he has attained marked distinction both as lawyer and judge. In 1856 he formed a partnership with Edwin D. Dodd, which continued to 1864 as Dodd & Huston. Following the death of Mr. Dodd he was executor of his estate, in the execution of which trust he was associated with Judge Patrick Mallon, Whoa says of him, "Mr. Huston was a diligent, careful and painstaking lawyer and an honest and upright man." From 1866 to 1875 he was associated in
458 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
practice with C. K. Shunk,.and from 1881 to 1884 he was a partner of John R. Holmes, as Huston & Holmes. In politics he is a Jacksonian Democrat; always taking an active interest in party affairs and frequently being honored with nominations for office from its conventions; first, in 1881, for Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, but with his entire ticket was defeated ; again, in 1884, he was nominated for judge of the Circuit Court and again defeated with his ticket. In October of the same year, however, a vacancy occurred on the Common Pleas Bench, tp which Governor Hoadley appointed Judge Huston, who at once assumed the duties of the office. In the fall of 1885 he was unanimously nominated by his party for the same position and was elected by a handsome majority, evidencing his popularity as a judge. In the fall of 1886 he was renominated unanimously to succeed himself, but waas defeated with his party. His term expired February 9, 1887. In 1893 he was endorsed by the Independent Citizens' Party and placed on its ticket for Common Pleas judge, without his consent, which nomination he declined. In law he had the advantage of study and training under both the common law practice and the civil code, and throughout, his professional career has been methodical, earnest, conscientious; characterizing his professional life with a high regard for his associates at the Bar. As a. judge he was kind and gentle; he listened with patience to the arguments of counsel, diligently and carefully examined the merits of every case at issue before him, considered and weighed, with the single purpose of being just, every authority presented, and formed his decisions upon foundations of law, that to him at least were incontrovertible. As a consequence his decisions were generally sustained by the reviewing courts. Finally, as a lawyer and judge he is the embodiment of honesty of purpose, has a keen, discriminating, logical mind, a quick perception and grasp of legal principles, and a very high sense of the responsibilities of his profession. ," A case well prepared is more than half won," summarizes his professional life in his own favorite saying. He was married December 27, 1871, to Alice M. Griswold of Toledo, Ohio, a direct descendant of Revolutionary stock. Hear great-grandfather on her mother's side, Roger Welles, was a friend of Washington and served on the staff of General La Fayette. Three children bless their home, the eldest Paul Griswold, born June 22, 1873, a graduate from Woodward High School and also of Princeton University, where he is now taking a post-graduate course, studying for the Ph. D. degree; Francis Phillips, born May 18, 1879, and Alice Welles, born June 5, 1884. His home evidences the rare accomplishments of his wife, ornamented with exquisite carvings of her execution ; a cabinet filled with rare editions of Shakespeare tells the story of his love for the play. Other cabinets loaded with hundreds of specimens of minerals and fossils indicate his love for the abstract in nature. In his early manhood he took a great interest in Masonry, ,in which he attained the honor of having conferred upon him the thirty-third degree. He is also a member of the Mystic Shrine. He is a litterateur of great scope of reading, and enjoyed, prior to the loss of his voice in 1874; which was, however, recovered in about three years, a more than local reputation for his dramatic delineation of char-
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 459
acter in public readings. In 1860 he was one of the prime movers in the organization of " The Shakespeare Club," an organization that became very popular with literary circles in Cincinnati, continuing for more than twenty years. He was the first president of the Cincinnati Gymnasium, in which organization he has ever occupied a position as foster parent, and takes great delight in its continued success; with intellectual development he firmly believes in the development of the physical man. His family are members of the Presbyterian Church, with which he has been connected for twenty years. Epitomizing, the judge is an ideal man in his profession, in his home and in society.
PATRICK MALLON, Cincinnati. Patrick Mallon, ex-judge of the Common Pleas Court of Hamilton county, Ohio, was born in County Tyrone, North of Ireland, March 17, 1823. His parents, Bartholomew and Mary (Magurk) Mallon, were natives of North Ireland, as were their ancestors for many generations. They came to this country in 1827, locating near Saratoga Springs, New York, where Patrick received his early education. At fifteen years of age he entered Washington Academy, Cambridge, New York, from which institution he was graduated in 1841. He commence the study of law in Troy, New York, and upon coming to Cincinnati, in 1845, resumed that study in the law office of the late Judge Aiphonso Taft, and was admitted to practice in 1848. He immediately thereafter entered into a partnership with Judge Taft and Thomas M. Key, under the firm name of Taft, Key & Mallon, which partnership was dissolved by the withdrawal of Mr. Mallon, who then became associated with the late W. C. McDowell, under the firm name of Mallon & McDowell. This partnership was dissolved in 1857, Mr. Mallon taking a seat upon the Common Pleas Bench, to which he had been elected as Democratic nominee in the fall of 1856. In 1862 he received a renomination to the Common Pleas judgeship by his party, and was defeated, then forming a law partnership with Christian Von Seggern, with whom he was associated for six years. In 1870 he formed his present partnership association with John Coffey, the firm having since been augmented by the accession of Guy Mallon, the son of Judge Mallon, who, in 1888, became a member of the firm, which is now known as Mallon, Coffey & Mallon. Since his retirement from the Bench, Judge Mallon has been twice honored with the unsolicited nomination of his party for a judgeship, but the party was defeated both times. He has never been an aspirant for political preferment, but accepted a position on the board of trustees of the Cincinnati University, of which he was a valuable member for six years. Both in his service as judge and his career as an advocate, the same leading characteristics were ever present. His nature was essentially sweet, honest and pure. Upon the Bench this character was made manifest by the patient, considerate hearing given every cause. He knew no friend to favor; he had no enemy to punish. No suitor or attorney left his court feeling that his case had not been fully considered. His decisions were
460 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
clear, because severely honest himself, and gifted with a keen insight into the motives of human action ; his conclusions were just, and with easy simplicity of language he justified his beliefs and convinced even the defeated that his judgment was right. But it was as an advocate, and more especially when facing a jury, that the combined firmness and gentleness of his character were most plainly seen and felt. His was a quiet, persuasive eloquence, which, in captivating, brought conviction so imperceptibly and naturally that his auditors wondered that they could have held differing views. No jury, however dull or unwilling, but felt attracted, and gave him its confidence. His address was animated and gently vigorous, his speech earnest and yet brightened by a pleasing wit, which was doubly effective and mirth-provoking because of its very sweetness. Upon occasion, however, when stung by the unfairness of opposing counsel, or a client's suffering from malicious wrong, the firm, just man would flash forth into burning sarcasm or bitter denunciation. For forty-six years he has been an honored member of the Literary Club, and for twenty-five years a member of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick. Socially, and as a club man, he was a great favorite. Some of his happiest efforts were in after-dinner speeches, where his warm fancy and Irish sentiment had full sway. Judge Mallon was married August 12, 1852, to Sophia, daughter of Thomas D. Beadle, a merchant of Washington county, New York, whose father, Michael Beadle, was a Revolutionary soldier, and rendered distinguished service in the battles of Saratoga and Bennington. Of the children born of this marriage, four survive. The eldest, Howard T. Mallon, is now engaged in business in Spokane Falls, Washington. He is married to Gertrude, daughter of Charles Sivyer, a capitalist of Milwaukee. The second child is Guy Mallon, who graduated from Woodward in the class of 1881; from Yale College in the class of 1885, and from the Cincinnati Law School in the class of 1888, in which year he became a member of the firm, as above mentioned. He is married to Hannah, daughter of Colonel H. M. Neil, of Columbus, Ohio, and resides at Mount Auburn. The third child is Mrs. Mary Sophia, wife of E. B. Sargent, a son of Edward Sargent, of the late book publishing firm of Sargent, Hinkle Co., which has its successor in the American Book Company. The fourth child is Neil Mallon, a student at Yale College. The judge is a resident of Auburn avenue, and a member of the Mount Auburn Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Mallon is now deceased.
SETH WELDY, Logan. Colonel Seth Weldy was born on his father's farm in Fairfield county, September 10, 1832. His parents were Peter and Susan (Huddle) Weldy, both of Swiss descent, the former a native of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Rockingham county, Virginia. His father came to Fairfield county with his parents in 1806, and his mother's family came about the same time. Both his paternal and maternal ancestors came to America in colonial times, and as they belonged to a branch of the Quakers, there is no record of military service in either the Revolutionary War
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 461
or the War of 1812-14. Colonel Weldy was reared on a farm, and his early education was obtained in the public schools of Fairfield county. At the age of eighteen he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, continuing his studies there for three years. In 1855 he took up the study of law in the office of Colonel P. Van Trump, of Lancaster, and was admitted to the Bar June 10, 1857. Soon after he began the practice of his profession at Lancaster, alone, which he continued until 1861. In August of that year he entered the regular army of the United States as first sergeant of company I, Second Battalion, Eighteenth Regiment. Later he was promoted to first lieutenant in the First Regiment. This position he held until the reorganization of the army in 1866. On July 28th of that year he was promoted to a captaincy in the Twenty-third Infantry, holding the position until he resigned from the service in 1869. During the Rebellion he was with his regiment in the battles of Mill Springs, Kentucky, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, battle of the siege of Vicksburg, siege of Jackson, Mississippi, and after the fall of the latter place, went with his regiment to New Orleans, where he remained to the close of the war. In 1863 he was appointed judge advocate of the eastern district of Louisiana; later he was appointed judge advocate of the military division of the South under General Phil. Sheridan. In 1866 he was ordered to resume command of his company in the Twenty-third Regiment, at Benicia, California. From there he was transferred to Fort Vancouver, Washington Territory, reporting to General George Crook. He was placed in command of Fort Dalles on the Columbia river, in Oregon. Later he was ordered to establish a post on Willow creek in southeastern Oregon, for the protection of the mining interests of that section and adjacent settlements against the Indians. From there he was ordered to Harney Lake, to which he built a road 400 miles in length, now known as " Weldy's Cut Off" His last army service was the erection of a four company post, but he resigned before the work was fully completed. After leaving the military service he returned to Ohio and located at Logan, where he has been in the active practice of the law without intermission up to the present time. For twenty-seven years Colonel Weldy has been a conspicuous figure at the Bar of southeastern Ohio. His practice is general and extends into all the State and Federal courts. He was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States on, motion of Honorable Henry Stanbery, January 25, 1867. Since he left the army Colonel Weldy has permitted nothing to interfere with his law practice. Though he is a member of the dominant party in his district, and is a man of recognized ability, possessing qualifications that fit him eminently for high official positions, he is too firm in his convictions and fearless in promulgating them to become an ideal party leader. He was elected in 1883 to represent Hocking county in the State legislature and served one term, during which he was recognized as one of the most active members on the floor of the House. He :introduced a measure in the first session known as the "Anti-Intimidation Bill," which had for its object the punishment of mob leaders who were guilty of destroying property or interfering with the personal liberty of property
462 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
owners or their employees. The bill received the endorsement of the press, but as it was obnoxious to the labor unions it failed of passage. He also made a fight in the interest of. the canal property of the State and succeeded in getting an appropriation of $150,000 for canal improvement. In speaking of Colonel Weldy's standing at the Bar of the district and his leading characteristics, one of the prominent members of the Hocking county Bar remarked :
" Colonel Weldy is the oldest, and I may add, the ablest attorney at the Hocking county Bar. He is a man of force, and in every position he has been placed he has maintained himself well. His army record is a good one, and the history of his practice in this county for the past twenty-five years is virtually a history of the local court. There has hardly been an important case in which he has not appeared on one side or the other. He is and always has been purely a lawyer. Though he belongs to the dominant party, he has never accepted office. He is straightforward and direct in his intercourse with his fellow men. Circumlocution or deceit finds no place in his make-up. As a lawyer he is well read, and is equally strong as a counselor or advocate. He is one of the most successful attorneys in this judicial district, and in a wider field for the use of .his talents would have become a conspicuous figure in the courts of the State. He is not so eloquent before a jury or the court as he is strong and forceful. When he presents a case to a jury they understand the bearing the evidence has on the question before them. He has an important practice in this section of Ohio, both in the State and Federal courts. He treats his clients fairly, and therefore has their confidence. Yes, you can place Colonel Weldy in the front rank of practitioners of southeastern Ohio, and the Bench and Bar of the district will sustain you in the estimate."
In his political affiliations Colonel Weldy is a Democrat. He takes a decided stand for his party, but is not active in local political circles. He was married January 16, 1873, to Miss Maggie Thompson, of Zanesville, Ohio. They had two children, both of whom are dead. His wife died December 25, 1874.
JOHN H. YOUNG, Urbana. General John H. Young was a native of Ohio, born at Franklin, Warren county, September 13, 1813, and died November 25, 1895. His father, General Robert Young, was a native of Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, who came with his parents to Ohio in 1796, and settled on a farm . near Dayton. He was a lawyer by profession, but the young barrister found but a narrow field for his activity in that calling ih the thinly settled country of that date. He married a Miss Mary Dodds, who was a member of an old colonial family, and whose father served in the patriot army during the Revolutionary War, and located at Lebanon, but shortly after received a government appointment and removed to Franklin, in the same county. Later he engaged in merchandising, but through circumstances over which he had no control, lost a large quantity of his goods, which so crippled him that he was left without pecuniary resources. He returned to Franklin and resumed the practice of law. Shortly after he removed to Piqua, Ohio, where he continued the practice of law Until his death, October 20, 1855, at the age of seventy-one years. He was an officer in the United States army in the War of 1812, represented
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 463
his district in the Ohio Senate for two terms, and occupied many positions of honor and trust in county and municipal government. His son, John H. Young, attended the public schools of Lebanon, Franklin and Piqua until he was fifteen years of age, when he entered a printing office, and in two years learned the "art preservative of arts." This trade not satisfying his youthful ambitions, he left the " case" to become a teacher in the public schools. With the money thus earned he entered Miami University at Oxford, Ohio, and the next four years of his life was alternated between his studies in the college class room and the labor of teaching in the public schools. In 1835 he went to Urbana and began the study of law in the office of Israel Hamilton, his brother-in-law, a prominent attorney of that time. After two years of close reading he was admitted to the Bar, and at once began the practice of his profession in partnership with his preceptor. He was admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court in 1845. The diary which he kept faithfully during the earlier part of his life gives his views concerning the different professions and lines of business, and he chose the law as being, in his judgment, the best channel through which to reach his aims and ambition for something higher than the routine life of an agriculturist or tradesman. The firm continued in practice until the death of Mr. Hamilton in 1842. General Young sometime afterwards formed a partnership with John S. Leedom, which continued until 1865, when it was dissolved and he became associated with Colonel Frank Chance, a partnership which remained in effect until he retired from actual practice. General Young was an active practitioner at the Champaign county Bar for over fifty years, and earned for himself a reputation for legal 'ability of a high order, and attained a position as an upright and useful citizen that was as creditable to himself as it is honorable to his posterity. His practice was a general one, and extended into both the State and Federal courts. It was also large and remunerative. He was not what might be termed a great trial lawyer, though he was very strong before the court. His addresses were impressive and logical rather than brilliant in an oratorical sense. He was highly respected by both the Bench and the Bar for his legal acumen. He was a member of the Ohio Constitutional Convention in 1873-4, and took an important part in the proceedings. Mr. Young took a deep interest in the advancement of the young men who went to him for legal instructions preparatory to entering the profession of law. Several of his students have risen to eminence in the profession, both as lawyers and as judges, among whom may be named Honorable F. Block, on the Supreme Bench of Missouri; Honorable John Little, attorney-general of Kansas; Louis Sceva, formerly probate judge at Atchison, Kansas; John S. Leedom, Colonel Frank Cheney, Perry Middleton, James Taylor (deceased), prominent attorneys of Urbana, Ohio. The quotation below, from one of the oldest and most conspicuous members of the Champaign county Bar, is only a reflection of the general sentiment :
" General Young was an able lawyer and a most excellent citizen. He won the respect and admiration of the community and of his brethren in the
464 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
profession wherever he was known. His legal ability was of a high order, though he was not as conspicuous as a trial lawyer as were some of lesser strength. He was a little slow, perhaps, in coming to a conclusion on controverted points, but when he did settle the matter to his own satisfaction he was immovable and almost invariably right. The one characteristic that most endeared him to the public, and incidentally brought him much of his practice, was his uniform courtesy and affable manners. There was nothing hypocritical in this nor masquerading for effect ; he was one of nature's noblemen. He Was one of the most successful lawyers of the Champaign county Bar, and deserves to be classed with the best."
Said another member of the Bar, a former student of General Young's :
" The professional side of General Young's life is pretty well understood in this section, but there were other sides less generally known. He has, perhaps, done more for young men entering the profession than is common with practitioners of his standing and practice. He would take hours of his time at one sitting in explaining and impressing on the mind of the learner important principles of the law. He was not only a conscientious instructor, but was also a most faithful friend and adviser of the young man beginning the practice. He was successful in a business way as well as in the practice of his profession. His investments were made with rare foresight, and the fortune he accumulated was as much the fruit of his business sagacity as of his legal acumen. He was unassuming in his manners and did not proclaim his charities from the house tops, but there are many who have cause to revere his memory."
In his early life General Young affiliated politically with the Whigs, but in 1836 he became convinced that the Democratic party came nearer embodying the correct principles of true democracy, and being a man who governed his acts by principle, he therefore acted with that party. He was a Democrat, not a secessionist, nor a follower of Calhoun or Vallandigham. Prior to 1860 he was a general in command of State militia, and during the war was a strong supporter of the Union and took an active interest in the military organizations of the State. He was twice the nominee of his party to represent the district in Congress, but there being an adverse majority of some four thousand he was never elected to the office, though on both occasions he ran far ahead of his ticket, being particularly strong in his own county. He was a public-spirited citizen, and always ready to lend a helping hand to every enterprise that promised to be of benefit to the public. He was instrumental in organizing the Third National Bank, one of the strongest financial institutions in the county, and was its president from its inception to 1893, when, because of the infirmities of age, he declined further official connection with it. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and an active supporter of church charities, as he was in fact of everything of a charitable nature. He was married August 29, 1838, to Miss Elizabeth J. White, daughter of Joseph White, of Champaign county, whose immediate ancestors were pioneer settlers of the Miami valley. She died in 1893, at the age of seventy-four years. There are three surviving children of this union : Robert, married and residing at the family homestead, and engaged in business in Urbana ; Frances, the wife of Colonel Frank Chase ; and Carrie, the wife of E. M. Barber, formerly of New Haven, Connecticut, but now residing and engaged in manufacturing business at Piqua, Ohio.
BENCH AND BAR OP OHIO - 465
JOHN L. VANCE, Gallipolis. John Luther Vance, lawyer-journalist, is the son of Alexander and Eliza Shepard Vance, the former a native of Shenandoah county, Virginia, the latter of Gallipolis. He was born July 19, 1839, in the town where he has always resided, and received his early education in the common schools. He sprang from patriotic ancestry, in which the Scotch-Irish blood mingled with that of the cavalier. His paternal ancestors emigrated from County Tyrone, Ireland, to France, and later came to this country, settling, in Winchester, Virginia, in 1735. His great-grandfather, Robert Vance, was a first lieutenant in the War of the Revolution. His mother's grandfather also served in the patriotic army of the colonies. His grandfather, John Vance, was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, before the Revolution, was married to Mary English, and removed to and settled in Ohio in 1815. His maternal grandfather, Luther Shepard, settled in Gallipolis during the territorial period, served as an officer in the War of 1812, and
during part of the time was commandant of the post at Chillicothe, Ohio. His father, Alexander Vance, was a lawyer and newspaper man during the greater part of his life, and held many positions of honor and trust. He served in the Union army during the Rebellion as captain in the Fourth Regiment of West Virginia Volunteers, entering the service in 1861. During the spring and summer of 1862 he rendered service as provost marshal general in the Kanawha (West Virginia) district and later, in 1863, was one of the engineers in charge of the construction of the canal at Vicksburg, Mississippi. his duties were arduous and difficult. By exposure he contracted rheumatism, which seriously affected his heart, and compelled his resignation from the army, and later on resulted in blindness and death. This introduction, tracing the genealogy of John Luther Vance, is instructive as affording some insight into his prominent Characteristics. From early boyhood the subject of our sketch exhibited tenacity of purpose, and the generous traits which are attributed to the Irish. Like his father, he was educated for the law. After taking a course in the Gallia Academy he was graduated from the Cincinnati Law School in April, 1861, and on the day following reported for duty at Gallipolis as an officer on the staff of a brigadier general of militia, and as such officer, organized the first company of soldiers in Gallia county under President Lincoln's first proclamation calling for volunteers. On the third day of June, 1861, he commenced the organization of a company for three years' service, and on the 5th of July, 1861, was mustered in as captain of the company. Afterwards he was promoted to the rank of major and lieutenant colonel, successively, and finally to the command of the Fourth Regiment of West Virginia Infantry. At different times he commanded brigades served with the army of West Virginia, the army of the Tennessee, the army of the Cumberland, and at last with the army of the Shenandoah Valley near the birthplace of his father. He was engaged in forty-seven battles and 'skirmishes, including Fayetteville, Loup Creek, Charleston, the Vicksburg campaign and the siege of Vicksburg, the siege and capture of Jackson, the campaign of Mission Ridge and battles thereof, the Lynchburg campaign in
466 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO
1864, and the battles of the Shenandoah Valley which followed in the summer and autumn of that year. He was attached at different times to the commands of Generals Cox, Grant, Sherman, Hunter, Crook and Sheridan. He received four wounds, one of which has occasioned and still occasions much suffering. After the war, instead of re-entering professional life and pursuing the practice of law, he engaged for a short time in transportation business on the Ohio river. This, however, was only temporary, as his taste and inclination led him into a different channel. He founded the Gallipolis Bulletin, in 1867, with which publication he has been connected as proprietor and editor continuously to the present time. He may, therefore, be characterized as a lawyer by education and profession, but a newspaper editor and business manager in practice. The control of a partisan newspaper naturally resulted in political activity, not without ambition to hold public office. In 1874 he was elected to Congress as a Democrat, in a district which was largely Republican, receiving a majority of nearly two thousand over Honorable H. S. Bundy. He also represented his district as delegate in two National Democratic conventions, and his county in nearly all State conventions since 1867. Retiring from Congress at the close of his term, he has since devoted his talent and energy to the work of editing his paper and the management of his large business interests. Since leaving Congress he has declined appointment to positions of high honor, which were tendered him. In 1889 he accepted the position of quartermaster general and commissary general of subsistence for the State of Ohio, tendered him by Governor James E. Campbell. About the same time he manifested a deep interest in the treatment of epileptics, and urged the legislature to establish an asylum or hospital for that purpose. Through his efforts mainly the necessary legislation was procured, and he was appointed by the governor one of three commissioners to select a location for the institution and prepare plans for the buildings. Gallipolis was chosen for the site, and the work of construction was begun without delay. More than eight hundred patients are treated in this year of 1897, although the buildings are not yet completed. This institution is the first one in the history of the world founded and supported by a State. lie is one of the trustees of the Boys' Industrial School of Ohio, by appointment of the governor. Colonel Vance is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Grand Army of the Republic, and the Loyal Legion. He was married October 4, 1866, to Miss Emily F. Shepard, who, on her father's side, is descended from the same ancestry as himself, and is the daughter of John C. and Marie Louise Creuzet Shepard. Her grandparents, Charles and Genevieve Creuzet, were natives of France who came to Gallipolis in 1817, and enjoyed the honor, respect and esteem of a large circle of friends. Four children have been born to colonel and Mrs. Vance, one of whom died in infancy. Three sons are living : Creuzet, the eldest, holds the position of emigrant inspector in New York ; John L., Jr., is National bank examiner, and Frank is superintendent of the Gallipolis and Point Pleasant Railway Company, of which company his father is the president. The late Dr. Reuben A.
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 467
Vance, the distinguished surgeon, of Cleveland, Ohio, wad a brother of the colonel. Colonel Vance has been president of the board of trade since 1889 was permanent chairman of the Ohio River Improvement Convention—embrac-ing delegations from six States—held at Cincinnati, in October, 1895, and is the president of the Ohio Valley Improvement Association, which organization was the result of the convention. He is largely interested in other enterprises of a business character. A life-long friend of Colonel Vance, who is a prominent attorney at Gallipolis, says of him that he is well qualified by study for the law, but was moved by the spirit of the times immediately following his graduation from the law school, and thus turned out of the channel which he had marked out for himself. His brilliant war record was of great assistance in securing the majority which he received when a candidate for Congress. As a speaker he is plain but interesting in style, and since his return from Congress has been very active in public matters for the benefit of the people. He has done more than any other man of his years to promote the interests of this section. He made a good record in Congress, and has uniformly held the confidence of the people of the community. He is one of the most genial of men, takes a lively interest in the welfare of the Grand Army, giving his ear and purse to worthy comrades and all proper objects. Although the busiest man in town, he always gives attention to persons who call, and under all circumstances manifests the courtesy of a gentleman. He is frequently called upon to address public assemblies in various parts of the State and is always ready to speak in an emergency, thus evidencing the possession of unusual resources. Had his time been devoted to professional practice with the same assiduity exhibited in his business affairs, he would undoubtedly have attained high standing and distinction at the Bar. Another prominent lawyer says, he has been very active in all matters pertaining to public affairs, and is a very brave, energetic man.
JOSEPH B. FORAKER,, Cincinnati. Honorable Joseph Benson Foraker, now a senator of the United States, was born near Rainsborough, in Highland county, Ohio, on July 5, 1846. His father was Henry S. Foraker, whose family had moved to the State of Ohio from Delaware because of their bitter opposition to the slave labor prevalent in the latter State. His mother was a daughter of David Reese, who left Virginia in 1802 also on account of his detestation of slavery. When barely sixteen years of age he enlisted as a private July 14, 1862, in Company A of the Eighty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The regiment immediately went into active service. Foraker was made second lieutenant January 21, 1863. Late in the summer of this year he was sent into Ohio on recruiting service, and was on this duty when his regiment did such hard fighting and suffered such terrible losses at Chickamauga. He reached Chattanooga the night before the charge of Mission Ridge, entering his regiment as it was going into battle instantly took command of his
468 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
company, leading it in the charge, and being the first man in the regiment over the, enemy's works. He was made first lieutenant February 1, 1864. He served with the Eighty-ninth at Dalton in the Rocky Face charge, against Atlanta, and in the battles of Buzzard Roost, Resaca, Burnt Hickory, Peach Tree Creek, Hoover's Gap, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Ringgold, Ken-esaw Mountain, Entoy Creek, Averysboro and Bentonville. After the fall of Atlanta he was detailed for service in the signal corps and assigned to duty as a signal officer on the staff of Major General Slocum, commanding the left wing of the army of Georgia. After the marches through Georgia and the Carolinas, he was promoted brevet captain of the United States Volunteers, and assigned to duty as aid-de-camp on General Slocum's staff, which position he held until the close of the war, being mustered out June 13, 1865. At the conclusion of the war, young Foraker returned to his studies, which for a short time he pursued at Salem Academy in Ross county. He spent two years at the Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, and then went to Cornell, graduating in the classical course and in the first class, July 1, 1869. Governor Foraker has always been fond of his Alma Mater, and has taken great pride in the fact that he was the first of Cornell's children to give to her a student of the second generation, his son Benson graduating there in the class of 1893. While at college, Governor Foraker was a bard student, taking a very high stand to make up the time lost in his studies while in the army, and at the same time he read law. Upon leaving college he entered the law office of Judge James Sloane in Cincinnati, and was admitted to the Ohio Bar October 14. 1869, and entered at once upon the practice of his profession. On October 4, 1870, he married Julia A. P. Bundy, the daughter of Hezekiah S. Bundy, recently deceased, at that time a resident of Jackson county, Ohio, and for several terms a member of Congress, and an intimate friend of Lincoln. Captain Foraker had met his bride while she was a student at the Ohio Wesleyan College at Delaware, where she graduated in the class of 1868. From this union have come five children, two sons and three daughters. Foraker gave close attention to his profession, and soon impressed his fellow citizens with his ability and his high character, eventually securing a fine practice. In 1878, Judge John Baxter, of the United States Circuit Court, appointed Foraker to the position of chief supervisor of elections for the Southern District of Ohio, being selected as a " worthy, honorable and true man in every respect." His performance of the duties of this delicate and responsible position won for him the respect and confidence of the best people of all parties, and as a result he was given the nomination in 1879 for the judgeship of the Superior Court of Cincinnati, a position he held for three years, resigning by reason of ill health May 1, 1882. His associates on the Bench at that time were Judson Harmon, the late attorney-general of the United States, and General Manning F. Force, constituting a court that has always commanded the admiration and respect of the Bar of the State. Judge Foraker's success as an impartial expounder of the law was of the most pronounced character, but it was his excessively painstaking methods and unceasing hard work that made his resig-
BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO - 469
nation imperative by reason of its effect upon his health. This conclusion reached by him from the strong conviction that he could not retain a position to which he could not give his fullest energy was the cause of universal regret and remonstrance on the part of the Bar and the community, regardless of all party affiliations. His associates on the Bench and the leaders of the Bar, as well as the public press, endeavored to dissuade him from taking the course which alone his conscience justified. He was succeeded, by appointment by the governor, by Judge William Worthington. After recovering his health, he resumed the practice of the law in Cincinnati. In 1883 he was nominated by the Republican party to be their candidate for governor of the State, his Democratic opponent being his friend, Judge Hoadly. His nomination was the natural result of the widespread confidence and esteem of the people who knew him, and was received with great enthusiasm, even his political opponents testifying to his worth and character. He made a vigorous and creditable campaign, receiving more votes than were received by any previous Republican candidate, but was defeated. He was chosen as a delegate to the National Republican Convention in Chicago in 1884, and as chairman of the Ohio delegation, presented the name of John Sherman as a candidate for the Presidency. His speech was admirably received, and made him at once a prominent figure in the convention. He was spoken of as a suitable vice-presidential nominee, an honor to which, however, he did not aspire. In 1885 he was again nominated for the governorship, and this time was successful in defeating Governor Hoadly, for the second time his opponent. He was re-elected in 1887, defeating Thomas E. Powell, of Columbus, the nominee of the Democratic party. In 1888 he was again the chairman of the Ohio delegation in the National Republican Convention at Chicago, and for the second time presented the name of John Sherman, seconding his nomination for Ohio. In 1889 he was for the fourth time nominated for the governorship, but was defeated by James E. Campbell, of Hamilton. At the expiration of his term of office in January, 1890, he returned to the, practice of the law in Cincinnati, and at once took a leading position at the Bar, acting as counsel for a number of important corporations, and appearing in many of the most important causes before the courts of the State and the United States. In 1892 he was the candidate of a large section of his party for the senatorship from Ohio in succession to John Sherman, but Mr. Sherman was able to gain the caucus nomination and subsequent election. In 1892 he was again a delegate to the National Republican Convention at Minneapolis, and served in that body as chairman of the committee on resolutions. After retiring from the governorship, he took an active part in each political campaign, and in 1895 the Republican State Convention of Ohio, at Zanesville, unanimously endorsed him as the party candidate for United States senator to succeed Calvin S. Brice on March 4, 1897. In the State contest of 1895, the United states senatorship was one of the issues of the campaign, and as a result the legislature that was elected was overwhelmingly Republican, and Forayer was chosen senator in January, 1896. At the Republican National Conven-
470 - BENCH AND BAR OF OHIO.
tion in St. Louis, in 1896, he was again chairman of the committee on resolutions, and for Ohio placed Mr. McKinley in nomination as the candidate for the Presidency. In his service in the army, in politics and at the Bar, Governor Foraker has been distinguished for his courage, fearlessness, aggressiveness, untiring energy and uniform courtesy. He is a singularly handsome man, with a remarkably pleasing manner that charms friends and foes alike. Ile is remarkable for the warmth and number of his friendships, as well as for the aggressiveness in his opposition to those whom he deems his opponents. Naturally, in such a long and active participation in politics, he had encountered many who have most violently disagreed with him, but such disagreements have but in rare instances gone beyond the field of politics. Iii private life he is esteemed of all men, and his winning personality impresses most favorably all with whom he comes in contact. As a judge, he won the unqualified admiration and respect of all ; his withdrawal from that position and his subsequent active participation in public affairs have always been regarded as a loss to the Bench, where it is confidently believed he would have won still greater distinction in a field of larger scope. As an advocate, he is very forcible, his eloquence, charm of manner and earnestness, backed by his thoroughness of preparation, making him very effective both before .a court and jury. His manner of address combines aggressiveness with courtesy, suavity with sarcasm and humor, and shows at all times his tremendous energy and his ultimate capacity and willingness for hard work.