BIG LICK TOWNSHIP, - 671
BIG LICK TOWNSHIP.
JOSEPH BARINGER, farmer, P. O. West Independence, was born June 16, 1822, in Hagerstown, Md., son of Baltus and Mary (Killinger) Baringer, natives of Germany, and who came to Maryland in an early day and a few years later moved to Ohio, settling in Stark County in 1823 or 1824, where they remained for eight years, after which they removed to this county and settled in Big Lick Township. Here they entered land in Section 2, near what is now West Independence, and there resided until their death. They were members of the Albright Church and were among the well-to-do farmers. They were parents of the following named children: Catherine, wife of A. Wyant; Joseph; John; Dolly, wife of D. Wyant; Caroline, wife of A. Wyant; Sarah, wife of J. Hoffman; Lucinda, wife of N. Bish; Lydia, wife of D. Dounsey; and Mary Susanna (deceased wife of T. Swift). Joseph Baringer acquired his early education in the pioneer schools and was reared a farmer, becoming an expert in that occupation. April 17, 1853, he married Sarah, daughter of David Young, and by her he has two children, David and Aaron; the latter married to Allie Smith; they have one child, John. Mr. Baringer now occupies the old home farm, consisting of 222 acres of excellent land under a good state of cultivation. On it there is an orchard, now in full bearing, which his mother planted. He has made many improvements on the farm, erecting good barns and other farm buildings, and, in 1862, he erected the fine brick residence which he now occupies: He is one of the skillful and successful farmers of Big Lick Township. In politics he is a Republican. The family are connected with the United Brethren Church.
G. W. BROWN, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born in Marion Township, this county, October 4, 1844, son of William and Octavia (Kendle) Brown, natives of Virginia. William Brown came to Ohio abort 1835 and rented land in Marion Township, this county, and in 1837 he entered land in Section 32, Big Lick Township, this county, where he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives. They were parents of seven children: William; Jackson; Mary A., widow of Mr. Flenner; Sarah, married to Amos Treece (both are now deceased); Harriet, wife of G. W. Corbin; Octavia, wife of Henry Cross, and G. W. The subject of this sketch enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, August 15, 1862, and served three years, during which time he participated in the campaigns through Georgia and Tennessee, taking active part in all the prominent battles of those campaigns. He became badly crippled from rheumatism but otherwise escaped injury, with the exception of a few slight bruises. He retired from the service in July, 1865, and June 20, 1867, he was married to Julia A., daughter of Charles Cross, of Amanda Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Brown reside on the old home farm, a fine piece of land in Section 32, of Big Lick Township.
DAVID CHAMBERS, farmer, P. O. Cagey, Wyandot County, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, December 24, 1833, son of Elias and Catherine
672 - HISTORY OF HANCOCK COUNTY.
(Stockman) Chambers, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. Elias Chambers. who was of English descent, came to Liberty Township, Crawford Co., Ohio, about 1824 or 1825, catered 120 acres of timbered land and cut the first timber from his land and built a cabin. His family at that time consisted of wife and one Child-Susan, now the Widow Steen, re siding on the old home farm, in Crawford Co., Ohio. Afterward there were born to Elias and his wife six other children: William (deceased), whose widow now occupies part of the old home farm in Crawford Co., Ohio; Catherine, wife of J. Steen; Peter (deceased), David, Daniel and Aaron, Out' subject acquired his early education in the schools of Crawford Co., Ohio, and married, April 26, 1859, Sarah A. Sargent, daughter of Samuel and Eliza (Smith) Sargent, of Hampshire County, Va. (now West Virginia), who came to Ohio in 1825. To Mr. and Mrs. Chambers were born Nora C., David W., Greely, Della, Clinton, Cora and Wesley. David Chambers came to this county when a young man and after traveling over a good share of the county and laboring in various places, he began work with his uncle, William Chambers, on the farm which he, David, now owns. It is now a highly cultivated and well improved farm, with substantial modern buildings and other improvements thereon, situate in Section 35, of Big Lick Township, this county. Starting out to win his place in this world, with no capital but a stout heart and a resolute will, he has been successful, and is to-day one of the thrifty farmers and respected citizens of Big Lick Township, this county, and has filled, with credit to himself and the satisfaction of his fellow townsmen, the offices of constable, trustee and other township offices.
JOHN W. COLE, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born in Ashland County. Ohio, January 2, 1832, son of James and Rachael (Webster) Cole, natives of Delaware, who came to Ohio more than fifty years ago, locating in Huron, Erie County, and from there went to Richland, Vinton Co., Ohio. Perry Cole, our subject's grandfather, died in the State of Delaware, and his widow after the family moved to Richland County, Ohio. The family afterward moved to Ashland County, Ohio, and from there to this county, in 1864. The subject of this sketch went from Ashland County, Ohio, to Eaton County, Mich., and there remained four ,years. He was married, in 1853, in Ashland County, to Sarah McCree, and by her he had seventeen children (of whom sixteen are vet living): Jennie, James (deceased), William, Elmer, Marietta, Mintie A., Charles, Jay, Letitia, Dilman, Benjamin, Clinton, Lem, Ralph, Irvin, and Jennettie and Rosettie (twins). John W. Cole resided in Marion Township, this county, for a time, and from there came to Big Lick Township, where he bought land from Henry, Shoemaker and afterward purchased an additional sixty acres, making his present farm consist of 140 acres of fine farming land, well cultivated and improved. In politics our subject is a Republican. He and the family are connected with the United Brethren Church.
CHRISTOPHER GARBER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in February, 1847, in France, son of Peter and Barbara (Sattzman) Garber, natives of France. They came to America in 1851, settled in Big Lick Township, this county, and bought land from William Ilef and David Roberts, and still reside here. They are the parents of three children: Peter, Ellen, wife of E. Chimin, and Christopher. Our subject was married, December 5, 1872, to Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Leonard, an old pioneer
PAGE 673 - PICTURE OF B. B. POWELL
PAGE 674 - BLANK
BIG LICK TOWNSHIP. - 675
of this county; they have one child, Leroy. Mr. Garber is a thrifty farmer; his farm is a part of his father's first purchase in Big Lick Township. this county. In politics our subject is a Democrat.
ROBERT LONG, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Kentucky, February 23, 1801, son of John and Isabella (Thompson) Long, natives of Pennsylvania, who moved to Kentucky in an early day. Short time later they came to Fairfield County, Ohio, and in 1826 to this county, where our subject and parents were among the first settlers in what is now Big Lick Township. They were in the county some time before they took up land, but finally entered in Section 21, of Big Lick Township, where the subject of this sketch now resides. Robert Long was the third in a family of nine children, of whom only two survive: Robert and Jeptha. He married, in 1832, Polly, daughter of Philip and Hannah (Hull) Essex, pioneers of Big Lick Township, this county, and to this union were born four children, of whom only one survives, Margaret, wife of John Lovengood. Mrs. Long dying, Mr. Long afterward married Mary, daughter of John and Mary (Northcutt) Graham, also early sutler of Big Lick Township, this county. To our subject's second marriage were born seven children: James W. (deceased), Malinda, wife of Jacob Weller; Nancy Jane: George W. ; William H. (deceased); Mary A. wife of R. Blair, and Elizabeth, wife of John Tawney. Mr. Long loved pioneer experiences, and still thinks that a life spent in the wild woods in hunting is far preferable to living in modern cities or towns. He is connected with the Methodist Church. In politics he is a Republican. His son, George W., was married in November, 1878, to Nancy J. Stininger; they have two children living, Laura L. and Wilson S. George W. Long now owns his father's old home farm and also eighty acres adjoining it in Section 16, Big Lick Township. His mother died August 9, 1879.
MOSES McANELLY (deceased) was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1805, son of John and Mary McAnelly, natives of Ireland, who came to America in an early day. Moses McAnelly came to this county in 1836 and married here, the same year, Mary, daughter of William and Nancy (Teeters) Roller, and to them were born eight children: William (deceased), Mary (wife of M. McAnelly, a cousin, have ten children), Nancy (wife of Nathan Thomas, have no children), Lucinda (wife of Charles Beemer, have five children), Charlotte (wife of B. Cole, have five children), Jefferson (married to Sarah E. Leonard, have six children); he is practicing law in Colorado, and is at present judge of Larimer County, Col. ; John (deceased), and Moses (married to Phebe E. Cooper, have two children). The subject of this sketch departed this life in 1852. His widow and a part of her family still occupy the old home farm in Big Lick Township. In politics Mr. McAnelly was a Democrat. He was elected to both branches of the State Legislature, to the House of Representatives in 1839, and to the Senate of Ohio in 1842.
A. J. MOORE, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born September 23, 1827, in Beaver County, Penn., son of William and Nancy (Bayless) Moore, the former a native of Westmoreland County, Penn., and the latter a native of Washington, Penn. They married in 1823 and came to Ohio in 1841. They reared a family of nine children, eight of whom were born in Pennsylvania and one in Ohio: Samuel B., Andrew J., Casander J., John B., Benjamin F., Nathaniel H., Ann Eliza (wife of M. Marvin), James (deceased
676 - HISTORY OF HANCOCK COUNTY.
while young), and William H., the latter born in this county. The subject of this sketch was married, June 8, 1853, to Nancy, daughter of the pioneer John Moore, and to them were born six children: John F., William C., Samuel A., Mary (wife of A. Lacky), Nancy C.. (wife of James C. Martin) and A. Jackson. Mr. Moore now resides on what was formerly the old home farm of his father-in-law, John Moore. He held the office of postmaster all the time his office was in existence, justice of the peace for three years, township clerk, trustee, supervisor and land appraiser, and has been school director and treasurer of Big Lick Township. He is a successful farmer, much respected by all who know him. He is connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Democrat.
JOHN F. MOORE, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born June 30, 1854, in Big Lick Township, this county, son of A. J. and Nancy Moore, the former a native of Beaver County, Penn., and the latter of Ashland County, Ohio, and who came to this county in 1841 and settled in Big Lick Township. They were parents of six children: John F., William C., S. A., Mary A., Nancy C. and A. J. John F. Moore married, January 17, 1877, Sarah E., daughter of Garret Lefferson. and to them were born two children: Calvin L. and Clyde M. John F. Moore has a fine farm of eighty acres of well improved land (formerly owned by G. W. Graham), with good buildings upon it. He is one of the enterprising young farmers of Big Lick Township. In politics he is a Democrat.
JOHN MOORE, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was horn near Lancaster, Penn., October 16, 1808, son of Hugh and Susan (Buckwalter) Moore, the former a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, and the latter of Pennsylvania. Hugh Moore came to America about the year 1800, and settled in Pennsylvania; of his ten children four are now living: John, William, Nancy (wife of William Nelson), and Amanda (wife of William Cole). John Moore came to Ohio with his parents in 1828 and settled in Richland (now Ashland) County. He was married, in 1833, to Agues W. Roller, daughter of William Roller, a descendant of Capt. Weston, an old English navigator and explorer. To Mr. and Mrs. Moore were born eleven children, of whom ten are now living: Nancy, wife of A. J. Moore; Susannah; Mary, wife of R. Taylor; Ross W. ; William died in infancy; Robert Bruce; Thomas Dorr; John Duff; Amanda, wife of C. Dressier; Lucinda, wife of H. Lackey, and Emma, wife of J. W. Bear; all reside in this county. Mr. Moore came to this county in 1833 with his wife's father, who entered eight quarter-sections of land in Big Lick Township, Mr. Moore getting one-quarter section as his part of it. This land was entered by Mr. Roller, the father-in-law. A large part of this land is now held by his heirs, he having divided his lands among his children. His original farm is on Section 15, Big Lick Township, where A. J. Moore now resides. John Moore purchased the farm on which he now resides in 1866. He has filled the offices of township trustee, clerk, fence viewer, and other places of trust, and is a valuable citizen. He has been successful in life and is now enjoying the fruits of his former years of hard labor, tenderly caring for the declining years of his wife, who has been an invalid for some years. Mr. Moore has not attached himself to any church, but believes in the Universal doctrine. In politics he is a Democrat and voted for Andrew Jackson.
ROSS W. MOORE, farmer, P. O Findlay, was born in Big Lick Township, this county, January 3, 1838, son of John and Agues (Roller) Moore.
BIG LICK TOWNSHIP. - 677
He married, October 20, 1861, Sarah E., daughter of Jesse Wiseley, one of the earliest settlers in Big Lick Township, this county, and who erected the first frame dwelling house in the township (this building is still standing and is the oldest house in the township). To Mr. and Mrs. Moore have been born two children: Ralph W. and Lewis C. Mr. Moore acquired his education in Big Lick Township, this county. He is the owner of a fine farm of 160 acres of well improved land, on which he has excellent buildings with modern improvements. He is a thorough farmer and one of the leading citizens of his township. He has filled the office of township trustee for several terms, and has been commissioner for seven years, which last named office he is still holding. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity; a man greatly respected by his friends. In politics he is a Democrat. Mrs. Moore is a member of the United Brethren Church.
JOHN PETERS, farmer, P. O. Arcadia, was born in Virginia February 5, 1829. His parents, natives of Virginia, came to Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1849, and from there to this county. They were parents of ten children Ann (deceased wife of J. Laughlin), Catherine (deceased wife of Joseph Dillery), John, Abraham, Mary (wife of Seth Smith), Elizabeth (wife of George Taylor), David, Susan (wife of John Ribley), Midleton and Savina (both deceased). The subject of this sketch married, October 9, 1851, Cynthia McFadden, and to them were born eight children-all living: Ambrose (married to Elizabeth Ewing), Christena J. (wife of John C. Thomas), Amos W. (married to Rosa Kamp), George W. (married to Lucy Kinsel), Ida, Abraham L., Alice and David. Mr. Peters is the owner of a fine farm of 156 acres of well improved land, situate in Section 5, Big Lick Township; in politics he is a Republican.
MICHAEL ROLLER, farmer, P. O. Arcadia, was born March 2, 1822, in Columbiana County, Ohio, son of William and Nancy (Teeters) Roller, natives of Pennsylvania, and who came to Ohio in an early day, former of whom was an associate judge of the courts for some years. In the fall of 1833 William Roller and his son-in-law, John Moore, came to Big Lick Township, this county, and cut the timber and built a cabin on a farm in Section 15, and in 1834 brought out their families, and here William Roller and his wife passed the remainder of their days. They were parents of following named children: Mary (widow of Moses McAnelly), Agues (wife of John Moore), W ilson (deceased), Susan (wife of John Darrah), Michael, George W. , Lucinda (wife of George Hemming) and Charlotte (deceased wife of Hugh Matherson). William Roller entered two tracts of land consisting of eight quarter sections, making a farm for each one of his children. The subject of this sketch received his early education in Richland County, Ohio, where his father resided for twelve years prior to coming to this county. In August, 1846, he married Elizabeth, daughter of James Swindler, and to them were born nine children-eight of whom are yet living: William, Sarah (wife of Allen Spahr), Lucinda (deceased), Mary A., Philena (wife of J. Huffman), George, Ida (wife of Samuel Taylor), Henry and Lorena. Michael Roller is still living on the land originally entered by his father, and which is now well improved. He served as township trustee for several terms, and is a man much respected by his friends. He and family are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JAMES RUCKMAN, farmer, P. O. West Independence, was born in Hampshire County, Va. (now West Virginia). November 7, 1807, son of
678 - HISTORY OF HANCOCK COUNTY.
John and Jane (Slack) Ruckman, natives of New Jersey, and who moved to Virginia at an early day. Of their four children, three are now living: Samuel, Martha and James. Our subject acquired his early education in West Virginia, and came to Ohio November 30, 1830, traveling across the mountains to Brownsville, and from there by boat to Pittsburgh, thence down to Columbiana County, Ohio, where he remained for eight years, farming. He was married, May 3, 1832, to Hannah, daughter of John and Catherine (Coy) Huffman, and to them were born eight children: Samuel, John, Catherine (wife of W. Henderson), Mary J. (deceased wife of Thomas Lake), Jacob, Martha (wife of William Roller), Madison (deceased) and William (deceased). Mr. Ruckman came to this county in 1838, and bought land which had been entered by his father-in-law, in the northwest quarter of Section 10, Big Lick Township. To this he added fifty-three acres, and here he has since resided. Coming here when this part of the country was new, Mr. Ruckman and family have been closely identified with its growth and improvement. All of his surviving children are married except Jacob, who still resides with his parents, and has charge of the farm, which is a fine tract of land, with good buildings and other improvements. Our subject has served as justice of the peace and township trustee, and was township treasurer for six years. He has been a successful farmer, and is now enjoying the fruits of years of industry. In politics he is a Democrat.
AARON B. SHUCK, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born in Amanda Township, this county, December 26, 1846, son of William and Christens (Stahl) Shuck, and grandson of Samuel and Elizabeth (Dipert) Shuck. The father of our subject came to Ohio in 1839, and married about a year and a half after. For a time he resided in Wyandot County, Ohio; afterward purchased eighty acres of land in Amanda Township, this county, which land was a part of the first tract entered in Amanda Township. His children were Benjamin, Philip, William P., Aaron B„ John, Susannah (wife of H. G. Bliss), Sarah E. (wife of John Hyle), Mary and Joseph G. (deceased). William Shuck has resided in Amanda Township, this county, for forty years; has been a successful farmer, and now has a competence to en joy in his old age. The subject of this sketch was married, in 1811, to Malinda, daughter of Nimrod Bright by his second wife, and granddaughter of the early pioneer, Major Bright. (Mrs. Shuck had one full sister, older, named Mary E. , deceased.) To Mr. and Mrs. Shuck have been born six children: Carey L., Laura E., Louie J., Porter L., Preston O. and Sylvia M. (deceased). Mr. Shuck is the owner of a farm of 316 acres of well drained and well cultivated land, with fine improvements upon it, and is one of the promising young farmers of Big Lick Township. He is a member of the United Brethren Church; in politics he is a Democrat.
EMANUEL SMITH, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born in Richland County, Ohio, May 5, 1818, son of David and Rachel (Busby) Smith, natives of Germany and Scotland, respectively, and who both died in Richland County, Ohio, the former in 1852, and the latter in 1881: David Smith came to Ohio and entered 1,200 acres of land in Richland County, which land was divided among his heirs. His children were Emanuel, Jonathan, Peggy (wife of H. Gladhill), Henry, Agues (wife of J. Craft), Malinda (wife of S. Sefelts), Washington, Mary A., Rachel J. and David. Emanuel Smith was married, in 1841, to Jane daughter of William Smart, and to them were born the following named children: Calvin, David, Oliver,
BIG LICK TOWNSHIP. - 679
Sanford and Zeletta. Emanuel Smith purchased what was formerly the William Ritter farm, comprising 217 1/2 acres of land, on the Big Lick Township line, and now resides there. This farm is supposed to have been the first entered in Big Lick Township, this county, and is located near the Big Spring.
DAVID STALL, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born April 20, 1858, in Big Lick Township, this county, son of Jackson and Annastacia (Keiser) Stall, natives of Ohio, and who came to this county in 1835 or 1836, and settled in Big Lick Township, where they began pioneer life in the forest. Jackson Stall was twice married; by his first wife, Anna Keiser, he had four children: Emma L, David, Franklin and Sarah M. ; of these David is the only survivor. After the death of his first wife Jackson Stall married Annette R. Tongue, and to them were born five children, four of whom are now living: Tabitha A.. Mary E., Clara A., Nelson and Gracie (latter deceased). The subject of this sketch was married, January 26, 1879, to Octavia, daughter of Amos and Sarah Ann Treese, of Michigan, formerly one of the pioneer residents of this county. By this marriage our subject has one child, Metta Pearl. Mrs. Stall's parents both died in Big Lick Township, this county. David Stall is one of the thorough farmers of Big Lick Township.
HENRY THOMAS, familiarly known among his friends as "Little Henry," farmer, P. O. West Independence, was born June 23, 1815, in County Down, Ireland. His parents, who were of Scotch and Welsh de scent, came to America in 1816. They first settled in Virginia, from there moving to Pennsylvania; thence, in 1826 or 1827, to Wayne County, Ohio, where they remained until 1834 or 1835, when they came to this county and settled on Section 9, Big Lick Township (having entered land here in 1833) and began pioneer life: Of their eleven children ten are yet living; a picture of the entire family is now in the possession of Henry. Our subject was married, December 4, 1856, to Margaret Bigham, and to them were born five children, three of whom are now living: Mary A., Amos H. and Ida J. The deceased are Elmer J. and Jesse G. Mr. Thomas and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
SAMUEL L. THOMAS, farmer, P. O. Arcadia, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, September 26, 1824, son of Henry and Jane (Stranahan) Thomas, natives of Ireland. They came to America in 1816, and resided in Pennsylvania for a few years; then, in 1834 or 1835, came to this county and entered 160 acres of land in Section 6, Big Lick Township (where Samuel L., the subject of this sketch, now resides), and there endured the hard-ships and privations incident to pioneer life in the forest of a new country. Their family consisted of four sons and two daughters: William (in Michigan), John, Mary (wife of C. W eimer, in Iowa), Henry, Sarah (deceased) and Samuel L. Our subject was married, September 21, 1854, to Mary A., daughter of William and Cassandra Taylor, the former a native of Ireland, the latter of Pennsylvania. To Mr. and Mrs. Thomas were born eight children: Martha J. (wife of Jasper L. Gipson), Cassandra, William H., Marcella, Samuel E., George E , Chalmers B. and Mary A. Mr. Thomas was one of the pioneer children of Big Lick Township, and is now one of the substantial farmers of the township. He is connected with the Presbyterian Church; in politics a Republican.
HENRY ULSH (deceased) was born November 27, 1822, in Perry County, Penn. , son of John and Catherine Ulsh, of Lancaster County, Penn., latter of whom died in Pennsylvania; the former moved to Indiana
680 - HISTORY OF HANCOCK COUNTY..
in 1855, and died there. John Ulsh had a family of eleven children, six of whom are yet living: Eli, John, Benjamin, Elizabeth (wife of S. Bellman), Ellen (wife of D. Lutzenheizer) and Lavina (wife of Dr. Hill). Henry Ulsh came to Ohio in 1857, and settled in Big Lick Township, this county, where he purchased a farm of 160 acres of land, on which he made many fine improvements. He was educated in Pennsylvania, and January 22, 1852, he married Lydia R., daughter of Joel and Catherine Rickenbach, of Walker Township, Juniata Co., Penn., and to them were born seven children: Alice C. (wife of J. Wonder; have one child, Winnie), Welcome, Irvin J. (married to Laura B. Seller; have two children: Myrtle Mary and Hazel B. ), Rosa B. (wife of Lewis Hall), Carrie S., Mallie E., Willis B. and Aura May. Henry Ulsh departed this life May 2, 1885. He was a member of the Evangelical Church; in politics a Republican. His widow occupies the fine brick residence built by her late husband, and has charge of the beautiful farm situated in the southern part of Big Lick Township.
N. H. WARD, farmer, P. O. Alvada, Seneca County, was born June 8, 1812, in Washington County, Penn., to James and Elizabeth (Eaton) Ward, natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania, respectively; the family, then consisting of the parents and three sons, David, Jonathan and N. H., came to Ohio in 1815, settling in Columbiana County, where they entered and improved land. Here, to James and Elizabeth Ward, were born six more children: Joshua, Seth, Mahala, Edmond, Artemus and Sarah. Our subject received a meager education, attending a country school only, and about three weeks in all, but by close application to books and periodicals in later days he has become a ready thinker, and cam master a difficult problem with but little exertion. He learned the trade of a tailor, and in 1834 came to Findlay, where for five years he carried on a tailor's shop. It is a fact worthy of mention that during his business career at Findlay he made Dr. William H. Baldwin's wedding suit. When N. H. Ward was thirteen years of age he was afflicted with rheumatic white swelling in his right arm, which resulted in having a por tion of the bone removed, and, in 1844, the callous which formed was entirely taken out, to eradicate a second swelling. Mr. W and spent about five years tailoring in Palestine, Ohio, and in 1844 came to his present farm, and for ten years united his trade with farming. He came by team to Findlay, traveling, seven of the eight days' time consumed in the journey, through the rain. When entering business he had $97; mow he is the owner of a beautiful farm. Mr. Ward married, November 6, 1834, Casander Bayless, who was born in 1807, and died August 3, 1836. In 1837 our subject was again married, this time to Casander Leonard, who was born in 1811, and a short time before her death she bore him a son, Leonard C., born May 29, 1838, died May 17, 1862. The following resolutions were adopted by the Mt. Union College, of which Leonard C. was a student:
WHEREAS, It has pleased our Heavenly Father to remove, on the 17th inst. (May, 1862), Leonard C. Ward, of West Independence, Hancock Co., Ohio therefore,
Resolved, That we recognize with humble sorrow and submission this afflicting dispensation of providence because it is the work of Him "who doeth all things well," and that we feel more deeply and solemnly impressed with the brevity and uncertainty of life, the certainty of death, and the imperative necessity of a constant preparation to meet the "Sing of Terrors," and the Great Judge of the quick and dead.
Resolved, That in the sudden death of our departed friend we have lost a worthy companion, society and the Christian Church a promising member, and literature a zealous laborer.
BIG LICK TOWNSHIP. - 681
Resolved, That we truly sympathize with his deeply bereaved parents and friends in their loss of him to whose future life and usefulness they had reason to look with sanguine expectations, and that we beg leave to mingle our grief with theirs.
Resolved. That a copy of the above resolutions be submitted for publication in the Pittsburgh Christian Advocate, Cleveland Leader, the Buckeye State, of New Lisbon, and the Hancock Jeffersonian ; also one forwarded to his parents, and one preserved in the archives of this institution.
In 1839 Mr. N. H. Ward married his present wife, Eliza McCaully, born July 24, 1814, and to them were born three children, two of whom survived: A. J. (born January 12, 1844, served in Company G, One Hundred and Seventy-Eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; he married, in 1870, Coraline Hoyt, and they have two children: Berths M. and Waldo R) and H. Kate (born February 17, 1849, married to R. Cole). Our subject identified himself with the Whig and Republican parties. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1835. His wife has been a member of that denomination since girlhood.
JESSE WISELEY, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born January 31, 1808, in Fairfield County, Ohio, son of Edward and Leah (Tomlinson) Wiseley, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio in 1818 and settled in Bloom Township, Fairfield County, where they passed the remainder of their lives. They were the parents of fifteen children, six of whom are ,yet living: Jesse, Amos, Phebe (wife of John Goodland), Leah (wife of S. Smith), Naomi and Harriet (twins-the former the wife of John Rowe, and the latter the wife of Isaac Grant). Jesse Wiseley acquired his early education in Fairfield County, Ohio, and came to this county in 1835, bringing with him his wife, Keziah (Gilmore) Wiseley, and their then only child, John. Mr. Wiseley entered land in Section 7, Big Lick Township, where he now resides. He cut the first timber on the place and erected a cabin, and a few years later built a pioneer frame house, the first frame dwelling put up in the township. He has since built another residence, but has allowed the old house to remain standing. It is the oldest house in the township, and a constant reminder of the pioneer days, its quaint, old fashioned chimney of stone, built on the outside of the house, attracting many a curious glance from the passers-by. The names of the children born to Jesse Wiseley and wife are John (deceased), William, Henry, Sarah (wife of Ross Moore, Nathan (deceased) and Mary (wife of Henry Gillispie). Mr. Wiseley is one of the leading and successful farmers of Big Lick Township, and is a fine old gentleman, greatly respected by all who know him. He and his wife now reside with their son William.