CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 536
(RETURN TO THE TITLE PAGE)
Cedarville Township was organized in 1850, and is composed of portions of Xenia, Miami, and Ross townships. Its outline is exceedingly irregular, and has been compared to a headless bat with outstretched wings. It lies in the northern part of the county, and is bounded on the north by Miami, and by Green, one of the southern townships of Clarke County. Ross Township bounds it on the east, New Jasper on the south, and Xenia Township on the west.
Some of the earliest settlers in the county located here, owing to the peculiar advantages of the place, which afforded an abundant quantity of water, which might be utilized in running mills of various kinds, so necessary to the prosperity of a new colony; and also a superabundance of what was then an almost impenetrable forest.
The population of the township, according to the census completed in June, 1880, was 2,716. Cedarville village, alone, has a population of 1,046.
The topography of the township does not differ materially from that of the surrounding townships. It contains something more than twenty-three thousand acres of land, the greater part of which is tillable and highly productive. The soil is a rich, black loam, of great depth. Part of the township abounds with an abundance of limestone, the quality of which is not surpassed in our state. The manufacture of lime, therefore, is one of the chief industries of the place, and from this source a great deal of money pours into the township. It is estimated that the amount of lime shipped from Cedarville each year will average $60,000 worth ; and as the quantity of limestone appears inexhaustible, there is nothing to prevent this amount being greatly increased. The surface of the township is generally rolling, and is crossed from northeast to southwest by Massie's Creek, which is the only stream of any historical importance in the township. It received its name from
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 537
General Massie, who, long years before the first white man settled here, had driven the Indians, under the famous chief Tecumseh, across the cliffs a short distance below Cedarville village. The stream rises by two forks. The north fork enters the township at its northeastern part, and flows a generally southwestern course till it reaches the center of the township, where it is joined by its fellow, the south fork, which enters the eastern part of the township and flows slightly to the northwest till it reaches the Corporation of Cedarville village, where the forks unite their waters to make the stream, proper. From here the stream assumes a some what tortuous course through the remainder of the township, and finally enters into the Little Miami River, from the northwestern part of Xenia Township. From the point at which the forks meet till it reaches a point about two miles from Cedarville, the course of this stream presents a scene of picturesque beauty equaled by few, and perhaps excelled by none in our country east of the Rocky Mountains. During the countless ages in which it has followed its present bed, it has cut its way into the solid limestone in some places a depth of forty feet. At one place, called the Falls, the passage of the stream is choked by huge boulders, which appears to have been the terminal morain of a glacier; and a short distance below this an ever-living stream of pure water rushes from a solid rock, and presents a picture of aquatic beauty worthy an artist's study.
A quarter of a mile further down the stream, in an open field; stands the old mound, which is now about forty feet high and one hundred and fifty in circumference. It is perfectly oval in form, and has on its surface trees of a century's growth, denoting that the mound is very old. From its summit can be seen a distance of several miles in every direction. Undoubtedly this was thrown up by the ancient mound builders, to enable them to command a view of approaching enemies. To unravel the mystery of this earthen mound belongs to him who has made the study of pre-historic ages his life work. Discoveries already made, prove to us that a race of people lived and died in Cedarville Township before the advent of the white man and Indian, but what their manners or customs were are yet mysteries, and probably will never be made known to us.
538 - HISTORY OF GREENS COUNTY. TOWNSHIP
1850. Trustees, Thomas A. Reid, Hugh Watt, Samuel G. Barber ; clerk, Samuel, Thatcher; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constable, John M. Grain-173 votes cast.
1851. Trustees, Hugh Watt, Samuel Dallas, Samuel G. Barber; clerk, Samuel Thatcher;. treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constables, William H. Walker and John M. Crain - 287 votes cast.
1852. Trustees, Samuel Dallas, William Harbison, Thomas Gibson; clerk, John Gibney; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constables, William L. Kyle and John M. Crain-233 votes cast.
1853. Trustees, William Harbison, Robert Little, George Currie; clerk, John Gibney; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constables, William L. Kyle and John M. Crain-165 votes cast.
1854. Trustees, William Harbison, D. T. Colvin, S. G. Barber ; clerk, John Gibney; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constables, James Orr and John M. Crain-184 votes cast.
1855. Trustees, Samuel G. Barker, D. M. Kyle, D. T. Colvin; clerk, John Gibney; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constables, H. M. Nisbet and John M. Crain-201 votes cast.
1856. Trustees, S. G. Barber, D. M. Kyle, D. T. Colvin ; clerk, John Gibney; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constables, William McFarland and John M. Crain-209 votes cast.
1857. Trustees, S. G. Barber, D. M. Kyle, D. T. Colvin ; clerk, A. W. Osborn ; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet ; constables, William McFarland and John M. Crain- 226 votes cast.
1858. Trustees, Thomas Kyle, D. T. Colvin, S. G. Barber; clerk, A. W. Osborn; treasurer, J. C. Nisbet; constables, J. C. McFarland and John M. Crain-272 votes cast.
1859. Trustees, S. G. Barber, D. T. Colvin, Robert Irwin ; clerk, I. Cresswell ; treasurer I. A. Boghe; constables, H. Insley and John M. Crain- 264 votes cast.
1860. Trustees, R. Irvine, William McFarlarrd, John Gregg; clerk, J. F. McCaw; treasurer, I. A. Boghe; constables, H. Insley and John M. Crain-286 votes cast.
1861. Trustees, D. T. Colvin, R. Irvine, Daniel Conard; clerk, John Orr; treasurer, James S. Boghe; constables, H. Insley and John M. Crain-306 votes cast.
1862. Trustees, D. T. Colvin, R. Irvine, Daniel Conard; clerk,
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 539
John Orr; treasurer, James S. Boghe; constables, H. Insley and John M. Crain-248 votes cast.
1863. Trustees, D. M. Marshall, R. Irvine, William McFarland; clerk, John Orr; treasurer, James S. Boghe; constables, John Gibney and E. W. Van Horn-259 votes cast.
1864. Trustees, D. H. Marshall, William McFarland, R. Irvine; clerk, H. M. Nisbet; treasurer, James S. Boghe; constables, William McFarland and H. D. Cline-255 votes cast.
1865. Trustees, D. T. Colvin, B. F. Reid, H. M. Boyd; clerk, H. M. Nisbet; treasurer, James S. Boghe, constables, George R. Lovett and James W. Henry-197 votes cast.
1866. Trustees, D. T. Colvin, B. F. Reid, H. M. Boyd; clerk, H. M. Nisbet; treasurer, A. S. Frazier; constables, E. W. Van Horn and B. Bird-295 votes cast.
1867. Trustees, R. Irvine, B. F. Reid, H. M. Boyd; clerk, F. G. Barber ; treasurer, A. G. Barber; constables, William L. Kyle and Alexander Lafferty-312 votes cast.
1868. Trustees, J. R. Crain, R. Irvine, B. F. Reid; clerk, F. G. Barber; treasurer, A. G. Barber; constables, Alexander Lafferty and J. S. Owens-320 votes cast.
1869. Trustees, B. F. Reid, James Kyle, R. Irvine ; clerk, J. D. Caskey ; treasurer, J. F. Frazier ; constables, William L. Kyle and H. Cross-385 votes cast.
1870. Trustees, R. Irvine, James Kyle, B. F. Reid; clerk, J. D. Caskey; treasurer, A. G. Miller; constables, William L. Kyle and H. Cross-407 votes cast.
1871. Trustees, B. F. Reid, James Kyle, George Currie; clerk, J. D. Caskey; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, William L. Kyle and H. Cross-444 votes cast.
1872. Trustees, R.. Irvine, B. F. Reid, George Currie ; clerk, J. D. Caskey; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, William L. Kyle, H. Cross-399 votes cast.
1873. Trustees, R. Irvine, George Currie, D. I. McMillen; clerk, A. W. Osborn; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, H. Cross, Henry Johnson-452 votes cast.
1874. Trustees, R. Irvine, D. I. McMillen, James Kyle ; clerk, J. M. Bromigen; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, Ed. Thomason, H. Cross-354 votes cast.
1875. Trustees, R. Irvine, Daniel McMillen, James Kyle; clerk, John A. Nisbet; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, Green Milburn, H. Cross-358 votes cast.
540 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
1876. Trustees, R. Irvine, D. C. McMillen, James Kyle ; clerk, John A. Nisbet ; treasurer, J. F. Frazier ; constables, H. Cross, John M. Crain-425 votes cast.
1877. Trustees, R. Irvine, D. J. McMillen, James Kyle; clerk, John A. Nisbet; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, H. Cross, John M. Crain-400 votes cast.
1878. Trustees, R. Irvine, D. J. McMillen, John Stevenson ; clerk, John A. Nisbet; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, W. H. Iliff; H. Cross-420 votes cast.
1879. Trustees, R. Irvine, D. J. McMillen, John Stevenson; clerk, John A. Nisbet; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, J. M. Ford, S. A. Barr-508 votes cast.
1880. Trustees, John Stevenson, D. J. McMillen, T. C. Gibson ; clerk, John A. Nisbet; treasurer, J. F. Frazier; constables, John Harris, J. M. Ford-527 votes cast.
The first persons who made hones for themselves and families in this township were principally from Kentucky and South Carolina, from which states they emigrated on account of their antipathy to slavery. They were mainly descendants of the Covenanters, who came to the United States from Scotland in the early days of our republic's life.
The first persons who established themselves and families permanently in this township were two brothers, John and Thomas Townsley, who emigrated from Kentucky, and came here in 1801. The former was the father of eight children, and the latter of five. Upon arriving here, they located upon the banks of Massie's Creek, and purchased about one thousand acres of land, where they had chosen to build themselves homes. They built small, round log cabins, and, quickly as it could be done, cleared a small spot of ground which the families tended in partnership, and from which in the summer of 1801 they harvested the first crop of corn that had been raised by a white man in Cedarville Township. These were stalwart men, of unflagging energy, just such as were necessary to contend with the opposing elements of an unsettled country ; and by their ceaseless activity, united with an indomitable will, they succeeded before their deaths in laying the foundations of a settlement, the rapidity of whose progress has not been excelled, or, considering
CEDARVILLR TOWNSHIP. - 541
he circumstances, even equalled by that of any other township in Greene County. These men and their children are now all dead; but the grandchildren of the old stock are still in the vicinity of heir father's early homes, grown old and gray in a community they may well be proud of, as having been established on the ever prosperous basis of morality, by their revered forefathers. Thomas vacated his round log cabin, with its ground floor, in 1805, when he ?moved into the hewed log house he had just completed, and which was the first of that kind in the township, and was considered an elegant structure.
Wm. McClelland came, with his family, to this township from Kentucky, in 1802, and settled about one mile from the present village of Cedarville, on the borders of Massie's Creek, where he became the owner of one hundred and fifty acres of heavily timbered land. He arrived here early in the spring, and immediately went to work to build his cabin, which he soon had ready for occupation, after which he turned his attention to the work of preparing a piece of ground for corn, that he might have food for his family during the coming winter. He cleared a small spot, and planted his corn in June, from which time on he was obliged to keep the squirrels from it till it had become nearly two feet high. In the fall, however, he harvested enough corn to supply all his wants till the next year.
Alexander McCoy had a family of nine children, and came with them to this township, from Kentucky, in 1802. He located west of where Cedarville now is, and purchased six hundred acres of land, heavily timbered, and full of bears, wolves, deer, and nearly all kinds of small game, together with a tribe of Indians who had a camp upon the place. These latter, however, were peaceable, and the first settlers never received at their hands anything but the kindest, and most humane treatment. Mr. McCoy put up a little log hut, into which he moved, and remained several years. He cleared the land up as rapidly as possible, and in a few years had it in what was in that day considered a good condition. Jacob Miller, the present owner of this farm, bought it for $7.00 per acre. It would now probably sell for $100.00 per acre.
David Mitchel emigrated from Pennsylvania, and went to the blue grass regions in Kentucky, in about 1779, where he remained till he brought his family of four children to this township, in 1802. He had owned one thousand acres of land in the most fertile sec-
542 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
tion in Kentucky, but his hatred to slavery, and all its concomitant evils, induced him to dispose of his fruitful plantation in that delightful locality and come here, where whatever might be the disadvantages of the country, the clanking of the slave's galling chains would at least be unheard. He purchased about one hundred and sixty acres of land on Clarke's Run, three miles northwest of Cedarville, and built his cabin in the woods, and applied himself vigorously to the work of clearing his farm, and making his surroundings in this neighborhood as comfortable as possible. He remained upon the old place till his death.
David Laughhead was a native of Pennsylvania, from which state he emigrated prior to the beginning the present century, and settled in Kentucky, where he remained till he came here in 1802, and located on Clark's Run, where he bought five hundred acres of land at about $1.75 per acre, all of which was a pathless wilderness, in which ranged at will multitudes of all kinds of wild animals native to our state. Not discouraged by the gloomy aspect of things in this vicinity, Mr. Laughhead went cheerfully to work, and in a few weeks after his arrival here, had succeeded in completing a temporary dwelling place, after which he began the laborious work of removing the forest, and in a few years had what was in those days considered a large number of acres under cultivation. The country was wild, comforts were scarce, and neighbors miles apart; but notwithstanding all these disadvantages, our state was a land of freedom, where the sinful laws of slave-holding were not tolerated, and these noble old Covenanters were willing to endure the hardships and privations of a new and unsettled country providing they enjoyed the satisfaction arising from a free' conscience, together with the knowledge that one of the greatest evils ever tolerated in any country would never be introduced into their midst.
Captain Herrod, from Kentucky, settled in the eastern part of this township, about five miles from where Cedarville is now, shortly after the Townsley brothers settled in another part of the township. He probably came here in the fall of 1801. He had a family of sons and daughters, and purchased a large tract of land, which he continued to improve and cultivate till his death, many years ago.
William Moreland immigrated to this township from Kentucky, in the spring of 1805, and located on something more than two hundred acres of land, about three miles east of Cedarville, being the second person who located in this part of the township. He
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 543
built a house, dug a well, and cleared a small spot of ground, the first year of his residence here. He was a man noted for his honesty and uprightness, and was a prominent person in the community during his lifetime.
James Small, migrating from Kentucky, came to this township, and purchased one hundred and fifty acres of land just north of Cedarville, upon which he located permanently in 1805. He also bought a quarter section of land in Miami Township, but did not reside there. He had a family of ten children, two of whom yet live in the township, a son and daughter. The former, born in 1810, is probably the oldest native of the township who resides in its limits at present, and his sister, who was about twelve years old when the family came here, is the oldest resident in the township. Neither of these persons was ever married, and prove a living exception to the general belief that unmarried persons are short lived. There was about ten acres cleared land upon Mr. Small's place when he came here, and upon this he raised his first crop of corn in the summer of 1805. The country at that date presented a very wild appearance, and Mr. Small never became fully reconciled to his surroundings. This, however, did not deter him from exerting himself to the utmost to better his condition, and he was ever foremost among those who were interested in the advancement and well-being of the neighborhood in which he lived. He remained upon this farm till he died, at a good old age, regretted by all who knew him.
Samuel Kyle, a brother-in-law to James Small, immigrated to this township from Kentucky in 1805. He was the father of twenty-one children (?). Upon arriving here he entered a large tract of land on Massie's Creek, west of Cedarville, and built a log cabin, which would to-day be considered a limited concern to hold comfortably his numerous progeny. However, in those days a little crowding was not objectionable, and served to keep out the cold in winter, and this family thrived well in their narrow quarters, and the boys grew to be powerful men in physical strength, and prominent men in the community. Samuel Kyle was among the first associate judges in the county, which position he accepted in 1810, and creditably filled till 1845. He was a man of ability, and his descendants in the township are influential and highly respectable people.
William McFarland, Esq., emigrated from Kentucky, and came
544 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
with his family to this township about 1804, and purchased one hundred and fifty acres of land on Massie's Creek, a short distance from where Cedarville now stands. There was no trading point then nearer than Xenia, and that was a small affair. Salt was hauled from Chillicothe, and could not be had nearer. Mr. McFarland soon became a prominent man in the sparsely settled neighborhood, and served as foreman on the first grand jury in the county, in 1804.
Joseph McFarland came here from Kentucky in 1814, with a family of thirteen grown children, and settled on land now owned by Mr. Stewart. The Indians had nearly all left the county at that date, but wild animals were plenty, and many families fed on venison during the entire year. Priscilla, a daughter of Joseph McFarland, instituted the first Sunday-school in this township, in the old log Baptist Church, in 1835. She was one among the earliest school-teachers in the township. She is now the wife of James Currie, who resides in Cedarville, and is the oldest shoemaker in the township.
Thomas Paris, a native of Virginia, immigrated to Cedarville Township about 1809, and bought about five hundred acres of land on Massie's Creek, where he put up his cabin and set out an orchard the same year. The first orchard in the township had been planted by the Townsley brothers, in 1803. Quite a number of orchards had been put up prior to 1810.
The Rev. Armstrong came from Kentucky, with his people, in the capacity of pastor, in 1803 or 1804, and entered the land now owned by the Widow Corey, upon which he built a house and lived till his death.
James Bull, a native of Virginia, came to this township, with his family, in 1803, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, where he resided during the remainder of his life. The cabin into which he moved at first, was without doors or windows, and the floor was of the roughest plank. He only resided here, however, a short time, when he put up a hewed log house, which, next to Townsley's, was the best in the township at that date.
James Reid, a native of Ireland, immigrated to this township from Kentucky in 1805. He became the owner of a good farm in this township, which he improved, and upon which he resided till his death, in 1822. He was the father of a large family of children, one of whom, Robert Charlton Reid, married Marion White-
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 545
law Ronald in 1826, and to them was born a son, Whitelaw Reid, who can justly claim to be the most illustrious man ever produced by Cedarville Township. Mrs. Reid still continues to reside upon the old farm, where her young days were spent, happy in the consciousness of being the mother of one of America's most distinguished and successful journalists.
Robert C. Reid was, by trade, a carpenter, and in 1817 he built the first frame house in this township for James McCoy, who resided in it till his death. This building is still standing, and is occupied as a residence by John Gibson. The first brick house in .the township was owned by Colonel Duncan, who had it built in :1818. This structure is still in a good state of preservation, and is occupied by a colored family.
Jacob Miller is the second oldest resident of Cedarville Township. He came here from Pennsylvania, with his mother, who was a widow with seven children, in 1806. In journeying hither, this `family boated down the Ohio River as far as a place called "boats ,run," where they were driven ashore by a severe storm ; all narrowly escaped being drowned. From there they journeyed to this township, along an Indian trail through the woods, carrying all their household goods. They could not have been encumbered much, however, as a. camp-kettle and skillet, with a few pans and a little provisions, constituted all their worldly possessions at that time. After a journey of several weeks through the woods, they finally reached their destination in this township, and moved in a cabin with John Stephens, a brother of Mrs. Miller, who had come here from Pennsylvania, a short time before, and built a cabin on land entered by his father, Benjamin Stephens, but now owned by Jacob Miller. The woods at that time were thronged with Indians, bears, wolves, and deer ; and it seems almost impossible to the timid women of to-day, that so few years since one of their own sex should have braved the perils of the wilderness, and traveled alone with her infant family for weeks through a trackless forest. Yet such instances of heroic endurance are by no means rare; nor are they confined to any one locality in our country; but in almost any township in our state can be heard the story, telling how some woman came into the country when the foot-prints of civilization were very few indeed, and by her bravery and indomitable will succeeded with her husband in procuring homes for themselves and children. The pages of history never grow weary repeating
546 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
the heroic deeds of the Grecian women who lived when old Athens and Sparta were struggling for supremacy; but the work accomplished by them, as compared with that done by our American mothers, was small indeed. It is a fact, then, worth remembering, that among the American women who did so much toward establishing the foundation of our present greatness, are to be found some who located in Cedarville Township, and whose descendants remain there to this day, the most prosperous and influential citizens in the township.
Elah Bromigen, a native of Prussia, moved with his large family of sons and daughters, into this township about 1805, and located on land about one mile from where Cedarville now stands, and which is at present owned by Jacob Miller. Mr. Bromigen reached this township in the spring of the year, when the ground was beginning to thaw out; and the country round about at that season of the year looked more like a forest in the midst of the sea than a place where man might build a comfortable home. Mr. Bromigen, however, went earnestly to work, and in a few weeks the camp in which they had lived while the cabin was building, was vacated, and the family moved into their new home, which seemed almost luxurious after so long a time passed in camping out, and undergoing all the hardships and privations consequent upon such a mode of living. He also succeeded in clearing a small patch of ground, which became dry enough to plant in corn about the middle of June, and by a good deal of care was. able in the fall to harvest his first crop in the United States, which provided his family with bread till the following year. Farmers in this neighborhood went to mill at Clifton, where a mill had been established a short time before; but for salt they were all obliged to go to Chillicothe, from which place they would carry the salt in bags on the backs of pack-horses. No person in the township at that time owned a wagon; neither could this mode of conveyance have been used if they had been numerous, as there were no roads in the township, and all transportation from place to place was done by pack-horses, which wound in single file through the woods along the Indian paths. Mr. Bromigen frequently made these trips for the purpose of purchasing this important condiment. In a few years he had his farm in a good state of cultivation, and continued to improve it till his death, which occurred many years ago.
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 547
James White, from Kentucky, was another pioneer settler in this part of the township. He was the father of two sons and three daughters, and upon arriving here in 1806 purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land adjoining Bromigen's, upon which he built the first house of round logs the same year. He was a man of great industry, and with the assistance of his sons soon caused the aspect of things to change in his immediate neighborhood. His wife was a noted spinner, and her success in coloring was the wonder of the neighborhood. With calico at seventy-five cents per yard, it was among the impossibilities to possess a dress of that material in those days, when real money was almost a curiosity among the settlers. Hence the ladies taxed their ingenuity to discover the most tasty and most effective mode of striping their dress goods; and young ladies would often walk miles to obtain Mrs. White's recipe for coloring, which being willingly given with full instructions, in a few weeks the country belles made their debut in a dress of linsey-woolsey, the brilliancy of which probably far exceeded Joseph's many-colored coat.
Major James Galloway, jr., an unmarried man, emigrated from Kentucky, and came to this township with his father, James Galloway, sr., in 1803. The latter served as treasurer of Greene County from 1803 till 1816; while James, jr., was the first county surveyor, holding the office from 1809 to 1812. In 1805, he married Miss Martha Townsley, a daughter of Thomas Townsley. The ceremony was performed in the log cabin of the Townsley's, by Rev. Robert Armstrong, who was the only minister in the township who had a license empowering him to officiate in this capacity. Quite a number of friends were present to witness the first marriage in the township, and the affair was one calculated to be long remembered. James Townsley, a cousin of Martha Townsley, and son of John Townsley, was the first boy born in the township, in 1802. While Sallie McCoy, afterwards Mrs. Innis Townsley, was the first white girl born in Cedarville Township, in 1803.
Among others who may be mentioned with the earlier settlers, and most prominent men in the township, are James Gowdy, who was county treasurer from 1825 to 1828. Samuel Newcomb, who filled the same office for the twelve years, immediately succeeding Mr. Gowdy's term of office, and George Townsley, who was elected auditor of the county in 1821, and filled the position creditably to himself, and satisfactorily to all concerned, till 1828, when he de-
548 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
clined being re-elected. Besides the persons to whom reference has already been made, there might be added many others who interested themselves in the general welfare of the county, and especially of this township, but such an account would contain a majority of all the citizens in the township, as well as those who are dead, and those who now live, and are in the mid-day of their strength and influence.
Cedarville village was laid off by Jesse Newport in 1816. The old plat consists of twenty-four lots each, 821x150 feet; of these nine are north, and fifteen south of Chillicothe Street. To this, the following additions have been made, namely: Alexander's, Jacob Miller's, Mitchell and Dille's, Hinsley's,. Kyle's, Mitchell, Dunlap and others, Nisbet and others, O. W. and N., and four other additions by John Orr, making twelve in all. The town was first called Milford by the proprietor, owing to the fact of his having a mill in close proximity to the town, but there being another town of that name in Ohio, it was found necessary to change this in Qrder to prevent all derangement in postal matters, and accordingly in 1834, the village was named Cedarville, from the fact that the banks of Massie's Creek which flows through here, were lined with that species of tree, and at about that date the people in this township got their first post-office. The first postmaster was John Paris, a great temperance man, and one of the most prominent persons in the village. Besides performing the duties of postmaster, he was also the first shoemaker in the village, and kept the post-office, shoe shop, dry goods store,' and worked at watch and clock repairing, all in the same room. This room is still standing, and is now used as a kitchen by a family in the village. Mr. Paris kept the post-office till about 1844, receiving for his services a few dollars only, each year. The mail during his time was brought once a week from Xenia. H. D. Cline, the present postmaster, has kept the position since April, 1869. They had a daily mail after the stage route was established between Cincinnati, and Columbus in 1845, till the railroad was completed through here in 1850, after which they had two mails daily for some years. There are six mails received here, now every day, and the office pays about $550.00 per year, exclusive of money orders. The persons who have kept
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 549
the office during the time intervening between the first and present postmaster, are as follows : A. W. Osborn, till 1848; James Small, six mouths; Colonel Torrence succeeded him, and kept it about two years, and was followed by Josiah, Mitchell; and after him Will. S. Bratton had the office a short time during Taylor's administration. A. W. Osborn then kept the office during President Pierce's term, and was followed by John Gibney, jr., who kept the position till the beginning of the war, when Osborn again officiated. He was followed by John G. Winter, who resigned in six months, and H. M. Boyd, predecessor of the present postmaster, took the office, and filled the position two years.
The first frame house in the village was one story high, 40x40 feet, and was built by John Orr, in 1834, who intended it for a cabinet shop. Subsequently another story was added. This house still stands in the same place. The second frame was built by Robert Mitchell, in 1835, and Joseph Alexander soon put up the third.
The first merchant in the township was E. Mitchell, who started his store in Cedarville in about 1830, and kept up the business there till his death, in 1855, when B. McClennan bought the goods on hand, and after selling goods here three years, removed his stock to Kansas, where he is engaged in the same business. John Orr began selling goods in Cedarville in the spring of 1834, and has been successfully engaged in the same business ever since. Mr. Orr is an old citizen in the place, and has ever been foremost in all improvements of a public character that were projected. He was one of the incorporators of the Xenia and Jefferson Turnpike, the first in the township, which received its charter from the state in 1836. After the company had expended some $80,000, the state failed to comply with her part of the agreement, and the corporation became insolvent. Mr. Orr exerted himself to the utmost to prevent this, but failed. He was also instrumental in having the railroad brought to the village, as the original surveys were all made on a different route, till convinced by Mr. Orr that this was the cheapest and best way they could run.
The first tavern in the village, and in the township, was a double log house, built by a Mr. Miller, about 1825. The amount of travel at that time was by no means as extensive as at present, and at that day the arrival of a stranger in the village was an important event. Miller kept this tavern stand many years, and was considered a very
550 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
hospitable landlord in his day. Since that early day the business interests of the town have been constantly and, rapidly increasing. The commercial wants of the place are supplied by four dry-goods stores, eight grocery stores, two hotels, two drug stores, one hardware store, one grain store, one butcher shop, three shoe shops, three blacksmith shops, one wagon shop, four physicians, one dentist, one undertaker, one furniture store, two milliners, one tin shop, one bakery, one merchant, tailor, and two barber shops. The place is remarkable in that it has no regular saloon within its limits, and as a consequence a more quiet or orderly community is not to be found in Greene County.
In 1876, George Strause and Herbert M. Northup conceived and executed the plan of publishing a newspaper in Cedarville, and accordingly the requisite outfit was purchased, and the new sheet soon made its appearance among the citizens of the place. It was called "The Enterprise," and at first had a fair show of success; but the novelty of having a home. paper soon wore away, and the circulation dwindled to such an extent that the proprietors found the "Enterprise " anything but a money-making enterprise, and accordingly, in 1877, they sold the establishment to John Orr, jr., who put the management of the paper into the hands of J. M. Miller, formerly of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who run it, with varying success, for two years, when Lee Stewart purchased the property of Mr. Orr. Miller was retained as editor of the paper till the spring of 1880, when several citizens of the place constituted themselves a company, purchased the concern, and put the paper into the hands of the present editor.
The first physician in the township was Dr. McTume, who came here about 1833. He remained several years, and since the date of his leaving, the physicians, with a single exception, have been residents here a comparatively short time. Of the four now in the place, Dr. Stewart came in 1846, and is the oldest resident practitioner in the township. Dr. Winters came about 1855, and is here now. Dr. Madden, an eclectic physician, came about four years
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 551
since. Dr. Rood has also been here but a comparatively short time. Previous to the coming of Dr. McTume, people went to Xenia for physicians.
The first saw-mill in the township was built by Jesse Newport, in 1811, on the banks, of Massie's Creek, a short distance from where Cedarville now is. It was one of the old flutter wheel mills, and the first boards used in building in this township were sawed by it. Mr. Newport run this mill several years, and then sold it to John Townsley, who operated it till 1835, when he disposed of it to Fred Beamer, who in turn sold it to a Mr. Barber, the latter running it till about 1868, when the mill was washed out, and was never rebuilt.
The second saw-mill in the township was built, in conjunction with a carding and fulling factory, by Issac and Jacob McFarland, about 1818, and for many years they carried on an extensive business. Finally they discontinued carding and fulling, devoting their whole attention to the saw-mill, which they run successfully till about 1845. The property is now owned by Samuel N. Tarbox, who continues to run the saw-mill, which he has operated for about twenty years. This is the only water-power saw-mill in the township, and is also the oldest mill of any kind in the limits of Cedarville Township now being worked.
The first grist-mill in the township was built by Peter Mondy, about 1836, who also run a distillery in connection with it. This mill is now owned by Samuel Charlton, who has operated it some twenty years, and has the reputation of making an excellent quality of flour.
The third saw-mill in the township, was built by Charles, and James Small, in 1833, just west of Cedarville, on Massie's Creek. They operated this mill till 1842, when the property passed into other hands. A distillery was connected with it for a short time, but both have long ago perished, and now nothing marks the spot on which they stood.
The steam saw-mill now owned by Samuel Mitchell, is the only one of the kind in the township, and is, perhaps, as old as any in the county. It was built by Samuel Townsley, John Orr, and Alfred Booth, in 1840. At first, they could only saw 1,000 feet of
552 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
lumber per day; now they can easily do five times that amount. Mr. Mitchell became sole proprietor of the mill, about 1868, since which time he has managed it very successfully. They do an immense amount of sawing here.
The first steam grist-mill in the township was built in about 1855, by Messrs. Hamilton Clemens, and George Shiegley, who operated it about three years, when the mill was sold, and removed to Charleston, in Clarke County.
D. S. Ervine, and Robert Ervine, began milling in 1878, when they purchased the mill of W. M. Harbison. They are carrying on an extensive business. In 1879, they shipped 30,000 bushels of wheat. They are at present building an elevator, which is to be three stories high, and which, when completed, will afford storage for 25,000 bushels of grain. They deal more extensively in grain than any firm in the township.
The only tile factory in the township, was established by J. W. Strouse, and B. W. Northup, in 1871, when they put up a dry room, 92x40 feet. Part of their buildings were destroyed by fire in 1873, but were immediately rebuilt. They give employment to four men during the working season. They manufacture all sizes, from two to six inches, and average about fifteen kilns per year, which contains four hundred and fifty rods of tiling each. Being the only establishment of the kind within a radius of several miles, they dispose of most of their work in their own neighborhood, where there is a good demand for the article.
The fruit evaporator of Tarbox Brothers was established by them in this township, and operated first in the fall of 1879, when they had completed the frame building, 20x30 feet, at a cost of about $1,600, including all the necessary apparatus. In evaporating apples, they employ fourteen hands during the season, and run through about two hundred and fifty pounds of apples per day. This is the only establishment of the kind in the county, and will supply a much-needed want, by furnishing an excellent quality of fruit for the home market. Tarbox Brothers also operate the principal cider press in the township, which they have worked since 1876. During a season when apples are plenty, they manufacture from. seven hundred to one thousand barrels of cider, all of which is necessary to meet the demands of the home market.
Uriah Jeffries established the only furniture factory in the township, and the only one of any importance in the county, in Cedar-
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 553
ville, in 1834. His work was then all done by an old-fashioned and lathe, which he worked several years before he purchased a orse-power, shortly after which he removed his shop to a little log cabin, west of Cedarville, near the site of the present buildings.
He remained there till 1845, when he took James Jeffries as a partner, and they then put up the present buildings. In 1855, Uriah sold out to James, the former going to farming, which occupation he followed two years, when he returned and renewed the partnership, which was again dissolved by his death, in 1870. In about 1873, James took M. Jeffries into the concern, as a partner, which relation they still sustain. They introduced steam power into their establishment in 1874. They give constant employment to about fifteen men, and manufacture a great deal of elegant furniture.
They established a furniture store in Xenia, in 1876, where they keep a large and fine stock of goods.
D. S. Ervine began the manufacture of lime in the spring of 1869, when he entered into partnership with S. M. Foster. They built one kiln the first year, and another the next, running these two till 1871, when Mr. Ervine bought Foster's interest, since which time he has been running the business alone. During the summer he gives employment to about twenty-four hands, and in winter employs about one-third that number. He has three kilns, which, when in active operation, will burn two car loads of lime, of three hundred bushels each, per day. The greater portion of this he ships to Cincinnati. Mr. Ervine manufactures about three times as much lime as all the other lime burners in the township.
The only brick kiln in Cedarville Township was established by D. S. Ervine, in the spring of 1879. During this first year, he made about two hundred thousand brick. He gives employment, in this work, to four men, and this year will exceed the number of brick he manufactured last year, by about fifty thousand.
Wesley Iliff is the oldest manufacturer of lime in the township. He came to Cedarville Township the same year the village was founded, 1816, but did not begin to burn lime until about twenty-seven years later. He gives employment to about nine men, and burns about one hundred and fifty car loads of lime per year, which he ships to various parts of Ohio, and some to Indiana.
John Orr began burning lime some time after 184h, and still retains an interest in the business, which is now managed by his son.
554 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
W. G. Shroads began burning lime some twenty years since. He employs about eight men during the summer, and burns about one hundred and forty-five car loads of lime, which he ships to different parts of our state.
In no one thing do the citizens of this township deserve to be more highly lauded than for the rapid improvement and present efficiency of her public schools. The first school house in the township was built on Townsley's farm, in 1806, and James Townsley was the first teacher. It would be a difficult matter to conceive of a ruder edifice, or one more uncomfortable, than this old log house. One end of the building was devoted to a fire-place, which, piled high with blazing logs in winter, warmed the freezing toes and frosted nose of the youthful knowledge seeker, after a tramp of several miles through mud and snow. The floor of this house was the earth, and although it was an impossible thing to wear it out, it was not a very difficult matter to raise a dust. Light came in through a hole, made by taking out a section of log, and during the winter the aperture was pasted over with greased paper, which served the double purpose of transmitting the sunlight and keeping out a little of the cold. The benches were of split logs, with wooden pegs driven in. through auger holes. Part of these slabs were placed with the round, and part with the split side up, so that . when a pupil got tired sitting on a round log, he might vary the monotony by sitting on a flat surface. School was held in this house for several years, when the increasing population demanded another, which was built on Massie's Creek, about 1810, and was similar to the former, save that it had a wooden floor of split puncheons, which was quite an improvement over the dirt floor. A member of the McCoy family was the first teacher in this house. The first school house used by the citizens of Cedarville village, was a hewed log, owned by a widow lady, Mrs. Gamble, which she had built for that purpose, and in which she taught the first school, in 1823. The old stone house was then built, about a quarter of a mile from the village, in 1828. The year preceding this, a log house had been built on the William Pollock farm, for school purposes. Among the early teachers, Orlanda Junkins, Harriet Hatch, Matthew Mitchell, and David Torrence, are remembered as having
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 555
been good teachers for the day in which they lived. The pupil was considered a good scholar, and a ripe one, after he had mastered the rudiments of "readin', writin', and 'rithmetic." The manner of conducting schools has been entirely revolutionized since then. The union school house in the village of Cedarville was built in 1866, at a cost of $25,000. It contains seven well ventilated and comfortably seated rooms, with patent desks, and half a dozen efficient teachers are employed. Geometry, astronomy, and other of the more important sciences, receive considerable attention, and also six terms of Latin are taught in the latter part of the course.
The report of the township clerk for the year ending August 31, 1879, showed a balance of $1,583.59 on hand. One school building was erected the past year, at a cost of $1,350. There are ten school houses in the township, and the whole of such property is valued at $13,000. The different schools continue in session thirty-three weeks each year, and give employment during that time to ten competent teachers, of which the average wages of male teachers is $32, and female $27, per month. There were 257 pupils enrolled the past year, and of these 38 were between sixteen and twenty-one years of age. The average monthly enrollment was 181, and the average daily attendance 133, during the year.
The first church in the township was built about 1804, on Massie's Creek, about four miles west of Cedarville. It was a roundlog house, built by the Scotch seceders, who came here from Kentucky. It was a very rude structure. The Rev. Armstrong, to whom reference has already been made, was the first minister. He. was a Scotchman, and somewhat cross-eyed. On one occasion there was some whispering going on in the congregation. The minister, fixing his eyes really on the offender, but apparently upon a visitor from Xenia, shouted out, "I want that noise stopped immediately." The Xenia man, being somewhat, angered at what he considered the old Scotchman's impertinence, rose to his feet and asked, "Do you mean me?" "If the shoe fits you, I mean you to wear it," answered the imperturbable preacher, fixing his unmanageable eye really upon his interlocutor, but apparently upon another. man. The mistake he had made soon dawned upon the mind of the
556 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY
young man from Xenia, who took his seat amidst the smilings and frownings of the whole congregation.
Mr. Armstrong preached for his people during his lifetime, and was an able man. Once, during the war of 1812, word came, during services, that the Indians were expected to show hostilities immediately. The people were dismissed in the midst of the sermon, and the preacher, with his flock, retired to the nearest house, and began making bullets, and otherwise preparing for war; but, fortunately, no violence was attempted among them. This congregation removed the round-log house, and built a hewed-log church, in 1810, on the same spot. In 1829, they built the old stone edifice, known as the "Massie's Creek Church," which is still in a state of good preservation, and is yet used for divine services.
The Methodist Episcopal denomination were in this township as early as 1804, when services were held in different houses during the winter, and in the woods in the warmer months. Their brick edifice, in Cedarville village was remodeled in 1879, and it may justly be considered one of the most substantial church structures in the township. They have a membership of about two hundred, and sustain a Sunday-school which has an average attendance of about one hundred and twenty. Mr. James Gowdy, the superintendent, has held the position some time, and the school is in a very flourishing condition.
The Baptists built a frame church in the township, in about 1830. This house several years since, passed into the bands of the colored Baptists, who hold regular services here.
The United Presbyterian Church was organized here by Samuel Finley, in 1830, when. the congregation consisted of thirty members. James Buchanan, the first regular minister, came in 1834, and remained till his death in 1836. During his pastorate, the present frame edifice was erected. Harvey Buchanan, a brother of James, succeeded as minister, and retained the position till about 1855, when James B. Wright was chosen pastor, and served till the beginning of the war, then James McCaul officiated as minister for some time, and was succeeded by W. H. Haney, the predecessor of H. F. Wallace, the present minister. The congregation has a membership of about one hundred and twenty-five. Church property worth $1,500.00.
The Reformed Presbyterians. -This congregation organized the first prayer-meeting in the township, in 1804, which was kept up
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 557
many years by the families of David Mitchell, James Miller, James Reid, and William Moreland. Revs. Thomas Donelly, and John Dell preached here, first in the fall of 1809. First services were held in a log barn, on the Dallas farm, at which time there were about nine members in the congregation.
The first persons baptized were William and Joseph Reid. They put up their first church, in 1812. It was a rude house of logs, with old fashioned roof fastened down with weight poles. They worshiped here twelve years. Rev. John Dell, the first minister, preached here from 1810 to 1816. The stone church, two miles from Cedarville, was built in 1824. Rev. Hugh McMillen, was first pastor in this house, and remained till his death. The congregation divided in 1833, into the new and old schools, both occupying the house some time. In 1839, the former built a brick church, which they used till 1853, when the present brick was built in Cedarville. It is 45x67 feet inside, and has in it materials used in the old church built in 1824. Rev. J. F. Morton, the present pastor, has served the people in that capacity here since 1863. The present membership is about two hundred. Average attendance at their Sunday school, one hundred and sixty. When the division arose, it left the old school. here with thirty-eight members. They had no regular minister till 1858, when Rev. H. H. George was called to the pastorate, where he officiated till 1867, when he was succeeded by Rev. Samuel Sterritt who served the congregation till 1871, when his death occurred, and Rev. P. P. Boyd accepted a call from the congregation. He remained here till 1874. Rev. W. J. Sproul was then called here, but having been previously appointed missionary to Syria by the board of missions, was compelled to decline. They have no regular minister at present. Present church edifice was built 1855, and remodeled in 1879. They have thirty-five members. Robert Ervine has been superintendent of the Sunday school since 1878. They have an average attendance of about fifty. The church property is worth $1,500.00.
Odd-Fellows.-Cedarville Lodge, No. 630, was -organized June 20, 1876, by W. C. Earl, special deputy from Grand Lodge at Cleveland. The charter members were as follows: N. B. Cleaver, J. W. McLane, A. C. Owens, T. C. Gibson, F. J. Human, E. W.
558 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
Van Horn, William Shull, M. Rasor, S. L. Walker, M. Albitz, J. W. Walker, W. H. Walker, and Alexander Noble. First officers were, N. B. Cleaver, N. G.; W. H. Walker, V. G.; T. C. Gibson, recording secretary, J. W. Walker, permanent secretary, F. J. Huffman, treasurer. Present officers are: Dr. W. P. Madden, N. G.; E. W. Van Horn, V. G.; J. W. McLane, treasurer, Byron Miller, recording secretary, Alexander Noble, corresponding secretary. The lodge at present contains a membership of twenty-six. E. W. Van Horn is the oldest member of the lodge, and Barton White the youngest. The society has no room of its own, but holds its deliberations in the hall built by Mr. Gowdy for this purpose, which he rents to the order for $72.00 per year.
The G. U. O. F. (colored) received its charter in January, 1879. The charter members were: Daniel Smith, Thomas Mitchell, William Fields, James K. Smith, Moses Moss, David Samuels, John Smith, Newton Gaines, James Gaines, Joseph Ross, William Galloway, Stephen Thomas, Vincent Smith, Wilson Smith, John R. Smith, Joseph Wright, Robert Pigg, James Robinson, David Stout, Harris Taylor, Milton Robinson, Amaziah Hamilton, Harrison Tilley, Graham Sellers, John Woodford, and Charles Smith. Present officers : John Silvey, N. G.; Stephen Thomas, V. G.; John Smith, R. S.; John R. Smith, P. S.; Thomas Mitchell, T.; James Wright, P. N. G.; James K. Smith, N. F. The lodge numbers thirty-five members, and meets in the town hall, which they rent for that purpose.
Order of United American Mechanics.-Continental Council No. 27, of the State of Ohio, received its charter from the State Council, at Cleveland, August 9, 1873. The charter members were E. W. Van Horn, W. H. Walker, J. W. Walker, Robinson Satterfield, J. B. Beamer, S. L. Walker, Jos. Van Horn, J. F. Studivant, W. S. Walker, E. A. Thomison, A. B. Cline, D. H. McFarland, J. P. Satterfield, G. W. Randall, H. D. Gibney, W. H. Iliff, R. Fitzgerald, G. W. Werntz, D. W. Walker, Jasper Ballard, J. W. McFarland, J. A. Sites, H. Cross, W. Beamer, C. W. Mincer, T. P. Iliff, John Phillips, and A. C. Scanland. The present officers are J. Van Horn, C.; T. V. Iliff; V. C.; D. H. McFarland, R. S.; John W. Booth, F. S.; S. L. Walker, T.; A. B. Cline I.; J. W. McFarland, Ex.; R. McFarland, I. P.; W. Beaver, O. P.; E. Van Horn, J. Ex. C.; W. H. Iliff, S. Ex. C. The order at present consists of forty members at this place. They meet every Wednesday even-
CEDARVILLE TOWNSHIP. - 559
ing in the hall built by the town council, for which they have procured a lease for a term of five years. S. L. Walker is the oldest, and Albert Barr the youngest member of his lodge.
During the War of 1812 quite a number of the pioneers of this locality laid by the ax and left the plows standing in the furrow, and went forth to battle for their homes and firesides. Judge Samuel Kyle, the Townsleys, McMillens, McFarlands, Reids, and many others might be named, who fought bravely for their country during the war. And in later years, when the clanking from the chains of many thousand slaves was wafted northward, the noise of the coming tempest was heard here, and many stout hearts and strong bodies turned from Cedarville Township, and joined the boys in blue who went to fight for freedom in freedom's holy land. Among those who went to fight from this township were : John Anderson, Michael Agen, Andrew J. Bays, Joseph Berger, John H. Bickett, John D. Crooks, Michael Conroy. James H. Evans, B. J. Fuvnier, Charles Howard, Adam Jordan, William Kitchens, Theodore Klingsohr, John J. Langden, W. H. Liter, Michael McHugh, Thomas H. McClellan, Alfred Qualls, John Sall, Albert J. Sprinkle, Moses B. Stout, Fred. Strasbaugh, Andrew Troup, James A Turner, William B. Turner, Thomas Underhill, Carey A. Wykoff, Joseph Welsh, Joseph L. Wiley, Daniel Wilson, Francis S. Waring, Rudolph Garper, Thomas Mitchell, and Creed T. Price. Some of these returned safe home; some he buried on southern battle-fields, in unknown graves; others were maimed for life; but the cause for which they battled was won, and a halo of glory sheds a lustre around their names that time can never dim.