885 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY
CAESAR'S CREEK TOWNSHIP.
(RETURN TO THE TITLE PAGE)
Caesar's Creek Township is situated in the southern part of the county, and is bounded on the north by New Jasper and Xenia townships, on the east by Jefferson Township, on the south by Clinton County, and on the west by Spring Valley Township. It lies wholy within the Virginia Military District, containing surveys No. 1391, 2383, 4377, 2474, 2526, 2234, 2238, 2312, 2473, 2354, 3908, 2512, 1731, and part of 1044. Caesar's Creek, from which the township derives its name, forms its northwestern boundary; Painter's Creek crosses its eastern and southern part; Murser's Run has its source in survey Nos. 2474 and 2526, flows southwestwardly, and empties into Painter's Creek. The surface is somewhat rolling, the soil generally productive.
In the younger days of this century, a Quaker named David Painter, left a number of the Friends at Waynesville, Warren County, and traversed an old Indian trace leading from the aforementioned village to Chillicothe, and settled on the stream which was subsequently Painter's Creek-named after him-on land now owned by Harvey C. Folkner. There were but three cabins between Waynesville and the site on which he located. He was accompanied by his family, consisting of three sons, Jesse, Jacob, and Thomas, and tale daughter, who married Anderson. David was a consistent Christian, and was instrumental in organizing the Society of Friends in this neighborhood. He died about 1840, and his children have all followed him to the grave. The descendants are scattered, some residing near the old homestead, a thrifty and enterprising people.
Immediately after the preceding settlement, a Virginian named Caleb Lucas, came from Warren County, and located on the farm now owned by 'Squire Phillip Powers. Lived here but a short
886 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
time, however, and sold the land to Samuel Martin, a so-called Indian doctor. In 1824 it was purchased by Edward Powers, from whom it descended to his son, the present owner.
John Lucas, a brother of Caleb, came to the township a short time after, the arrival of his brother, and settled on the Jamestown road, on the estate at present in the possession of James Lucas, his grandson. The Lucases were very fond of "fisticuffing," and frequently got into serious difficulties with their neighbors. John lived to be upwards of four score years of age, and died on the old homestead.
David Murphy and family were perhaps the next settlers of this locality. The wife became heir to a portion of the military survey, adjoining the present lands of 'Squire Powers on the west. Thither they emigrated from their native state, and remained until 1850, when they removed to near Indianapolis, Indiana, where they died.
Robert Folkner, a brother-in-law of Painter, settled on a parcel of land adjoining that of the latter, being a portion of a thousand acre tract owned by his brother, Jesse. The Folkner posterity still reside in the vicinity, a portion of the homestead being occupied by Asaph, a son of Jesse Folkner.
Frederick Price, a Virginian of German descent, settled on the present D. M. St. John farm, where he remained till 1830, then disposed of his farm to Stephen Bones, and removed to Indiana, where he died.
Jonathan Bales, in an early day located in the northern part of; the township, where his son still resides. He held the position of township trustee for a long time. A portion of the family settled within the present limits of Jasper Township, then embraced in Caesar's Creek, where their children yet live.
The foregoing is a list of the most important settlements made; prior to 1820. During the succeeding ten years, the arrivals were more general, and it is impossible to trace them individually. They. were chiefly Virginians of German descent, therefore a majority of the present inhabitants are composed of these descendants. For a continuation of the personal history the reader is referred to the biographies of the citizens of this township.
CAESAR'S CREEK TOWNSHIP. - 887
In the log cabin, with its puncheon floors, huge fire-place, and greased paper windows, did the children of the pioneers receive the rudiments of their education. The first school now remembered was taught in 1825, by John Maguire, in the old New Hope meeting house. About three months each year was all the time devoted to the education of the young. About 1835 the common school system was introduced, and several additional buildings were erected. There are, at this writing, five districts and two fractional districts, on which are erected good substantial buildings, one at Paintersville containing two rooms.
The New Hope Quaker Church was organized by the first settlers, hence, it may very properly be called the pioneer church of Caesar's Creek Township. Meetings were held in the various houses until about 1830, when they erected an old-fashioned onestory building, on a. site one mile west of Paintersville, which still stands and is used by the congregation regularly. Among the early preachers were Jesse Falkner, Thomas Arnett, and Joel Thornburg, who were Quakers in every sense of the word, and true adherents to the doctrine established by William Penn. Formerly the organization boasted a strong membership, which has been greatly reduced; the discipline has also been made less rigid. The present minister is Eber Hains, who lives near the church.
The Olive Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was next -organized, and shortly thereafter a log house was erected on the Powers farm, which was afterwards removed to the present location of the Olive Grove Cemetery, where the society disbanded, and the house was torn down.
Murser's Run Baptist Church was organized in about 1830, several buildings having been erected and occupied. The present church was built in about the year 1860. The membership is strong, and meets once a month, the present minister being Rev. Bavis, of Cincinnati.
The German Reformed Church was organized in 1837 or 1838, and a brick house was built soon after. David and Thomas Win-
888 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
ters were the first regular ministers. The present building, a handsome brick edifice, was erected in 1878. Rev. Smith, of Xenia, is the present minister.
Mount Zoar Church is the only Methodist Episcopal Church now in the township, and was built in an early day. Here the singing societies of ye olden time were wont to meet. No regular organization exists at present, and the building is seldom used.
The Methodist Protestant denomination built a frame structure near the township center, east of the Mount Zoar Church, about twenty years ago. Shortly after this, members of the same denomination erected a house at Paintersville. Both churches are in a flourishing condition.
It is not now remembered where the first water-mill was erected, though it is generally known that, many years ago, there were three saw-mills on Painter's Creek, and one on Price's Run-all propelled by water power. These primitive structures have long since been abandoned. There is now a steam saw-mill at Paintersville. On Anderson's Fork, in the southwest corner of the township, there is a saw and grist-mill, the property of Levi B. Engle. Unfortunately, his dam was washed away by the recent flood, and his water power destroyed. Harlan Powers has a saw-mill in successful operation on the Waynesville and Jamestown road.
A tile factory, owned by Robert Dymond, near Paintersville, furnishes tile for draining the neighborhood.
The only village in the township, is in its eastern part, and contains about one hundred and fifty inhabitants. About 1840 Jesse Painter, son of David, laid out his farm, containing one hundred and fifty acres, into town lots, and sold them at from twenty to twenty-five dollars per acre, according to location. Jesse Painter and Jonathan Oglesbee owned stores on the site before it was laid out, and immediately thereafter, Joseph Oglesbee erected a frame on the lot where John Mason now lives. Next was erected the brick building now owned by Lewis Thomas, by Cornelius King. Several log cabins were then erected, which have in turn given way to frame and
CAESAR'S CREEK TOWNSHIP. - 889
brick structures. The village is on the line of the proposed Columbus and Cincinnati Narrow Gauge Railroad. A number of new buildings are in process of erection, and should the road be completed, an era of prosperity will dawn on the inhabitants of the town and vicinity.
Following is a showing of the business interests: Saw-mill, James and Thomas Babb; carriage manufactory, Allen and Eli Powers; blacksmithing, William King; postoffice and groceries, John B. Mason; harness, Lewis Thomas ; physician, William Rowse.
Township officials: Trustees, John Mallow, Daniel H. Oglesbee, Samuel McKay; clerk, Marion Williams; treasurer, Allen Powers; justices of the peace, Alfred Powers, Joseph Cummings.
CAESAR'S CREEK TOWNSHIP - 889
Thomas B. Cummings, farmer, is a native of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, where he was reared and educated. Came to this county in November, 1836, where he has since resided. Was twice married; first to Mary Moots, of this county, who died October 1, 1861. Eight children were the result of this marriage : Mary, Ada, Joseph, James, Sarah, Thomas, Martha, and John; Mary and Ada deceased. John is at home, and the others are married. Joseph, James, and Thomas served in the war of the rebellion. September 11, 1862, Mr. Cummings married Martha McNair, but has no children by this union. They are both members of the Reformed Church. His first wife was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He served a term of years as justice of the peace. Has a farm of two hundred and fifty acres, well improved, on which he lives, and it is one of the most desirable localities in the township. He farms to grain and stock.
Allen Faulkner, farmer, was born in this county, July 29, 1824, where he was reared and educated. He was married in July, 1847, to Elizabeth A. Hartsook, also of this county, and eight children were the result of their marriage: Jonathan R., Franklin K., Lydia C., Cordelia J., Louisa E., Thomas H., James F., and Cora A., four of whom are living: Cordelia, Louisa, Thomas, and James. Mr. Faulkner has a farm of two hundred and sixty acres, well improved, and farms to grain and stock. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Church, having united with the same about the year
890 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
1844. Cordelia is also a member of this church. Mr. Faulkner's parents were natives of Virginia and Kentucky, and were married about the year 1804. They came to this county about the year 1801, and were parents of eight children, of whom four are living.
Eber Haines, farmer, is a native of this county, and was born January 20, 1825. March 9, 1848, he was married to Mary Mendenhall, of Miami County. Ten children were the result of this union, three of whom are deceased: Lydia A., William, and an infant. Those living are Margaret E., Zimri D., Thaddeus A., Priscilla A., Webster, Mary M., and Watts. Mr. Haines bas a farm of one hundred and one acres, well improved, and farms to grain and stock. He and his family are members of the Friends' Church. The church relationship of the entire family has been a source of much comfort and pleasure. He takes an active part in the public services, and serves his Master daily. The family is of good repute, and calculated to elevate their associates into a nobler and better life, the love of God being shed abroad in the hearts of the family. Mr. Haines has been preaching several years for the cause in which his soul is engaged.
James F. Hartsook, farmer, is a native of this county, and was born February 3, 1831. May 28, 1868, he was married to Mary J. Hale, of this county. Four children were the result of this union Luther H., Allen S., Harper K., and Silas B., all of whom are living but Allen, who died at the early age of six months. Mr. Hartsook has a farm containing one hundred and twenty-five acres, well improved, on which he lives, farming chiefly to grain. Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Church. He united with the church in 1865, and she some years previous. He served in the late war, as a member of Company D, One Hundred and Tenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was in the battles of Winchester, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Pittsburgh, and others. He served two years and ten months in defense of his beloved and perishing country, and received a flesh wound only.
Samuel F. McKay, farmer, is a native of Clinton County, Ohio; was born May 8, 1825, reared and educated there. Was married, March 17, 1850, to Angeline A. Moore of this county, a native of Virginia; five children is the result of this union : George A., M. Louisa, Oscar F., Sarah J., and Irving F., all of whom are living, and three married. Irving and Sarah are yet at home with their parents. Mr. McKay has a farm of three hundred and forty acres
CAESAR'S CREEK TOWNSHIP. - 891
left, after giving his children one hundred and eighty acres. He inherited ninety acres of land on which-there were no buildings, except a log house 14x18 feet, and a log pen without a roof; to which he has added four hundred and thirty acres, and his farm well improved. Has a good, large house, and a barn. Most of his money was made by raising wheat and hogs. At one time, he sold sixty-two hogs for twenty-four hundred and fifteen dollars. Mr. McKay's parents (George and Mary) were members of the Baptist Church. Mr. McKay died June 11, 1850, and Mrs. McKay September 25, 1878. She met death submissively.
Stacy Mason is the son of John and Mary (Beven) Mason; the former was born January 15, 1795. They were married in the same county in which they were born, in the year 1816, and lived in the same two years, then moved to Belmont County, Ohio,' and located in a small town called Flushing, where he carried on wagonmaking for about sixteen years. Also held the office of justice of the peace for nine years, at the same time trading in horses, hogs and cattle, and butchering. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Mason, five boys and three girls: Owen, Stacy, David, Lydia Ann, Catherine, Gideon, John, and Susanna, all born in Belmont County, except Owen, who was born in Virginia. In 1834, the family removed to this county, locating ten miles south of Xenia, and carried on farming until the old gentleman's death, in 1879, his wife having previously died, in 1877. Stacy, the subject of this sketch, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, December 25, 1818. After his father moved to this county, he hired to work in a grist-mill on Todd's Fork, in Clinton County, owned by Mr. H. Lewis. After remaining about a year, he drove a team for Mr. K. Sweney, on Caesar's Creek, for about two years, at two hundred dollars per year; then ran a huckster wagon three years ; after which he purchased a general dry goods and grocery store in Paintersville, Greene County, which he operated about ten years ; when he traded this to Mahlon Fawcett for a farm in Caesar's Creek Township, one mile south of Paintersville; rented the farm out, and bought a dry goods store of G. R. Dawson, at Bloomington, Clinton County, Ohio; remained there two years, sold the store to John Beason and Son, and moved on the farm which he operated nine years, trading meanwhile in all kinds of stock; then moved to Paintersville where he now resides. Mr. Mason has, during his life, bought and sold three farms, and now owns six acres near Paint-
892 - HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY.
ersville. He was married November 7, 1841, to Elizabeth Bruce, who bore him three children, all girls: Mary K., Catherine J., and Ann E. Mary and Ann married two brothers, S. P., and S. U. Elis, and Catherine married Joseph Wilson; all farmers.
Christopher Middleton, farmer, is a native of this county; born August 4, 1834, and was reared and educated here. Was married to Margaret Devoe, of the same county, a native of Virginia, December, 1868; eight children were the result of this union : Emma J., John H., Susan, Mary F., Ella B., Lorratta, Thomas L., and Lizzie, all of whom are living save Susan, who died at the early age of ten months. Mr. Middleton has a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, well improved, on which he lives. His farm is a very desirable one, and worth about one hundred dollars per acre. He is what we might properly call a " self-made man," as he inherited but little of his wealth, the remainder being the result of his industry and good management. Mr. and Mrs. Middleton are members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Middleton's parents, John and Susan (Mussetter) Middleton, were natives of Virginia. Mr. Middleton, sr., was one of the pioneers of this county, coming here in 1826, and died September 7, 1864. Mrs. Middleton died August 5, 1852. They were parents of ten children.
Abel Peterson, farmer, is a son of Jacob and Hannah (Stookey) Peterson, and was born October 18, 1811, in Hardy County, Virginia, the native place of his parents. They died in Ohio; Mr. Peterson, January 3, 1867, aged about eighty-two years, and Mrs. Peterson, December 13, 1857, aged seventy-one years. They were parents of ten children, eight of whom are living. Abel, our subject, is the second child, and was married, September 26, 1844, to Alivia E. Weaver, of this county. Four children is the result of this union: Mary E., Martha J., Hannah C., and Clarissa A., three of whom are married. Hannah C. and her husband, Charles E. Harrison, are living in the house with her parents. Mary and Martha reside in Hill County, Nebraska., Clarissa is yet single, and at home. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson are members of the Reformed Church, he uniting about the year 1833, and his wife about 1854. He has a farm of one hundred and thirty-five acres, and farms chiefly to grain. He came to Ohio in the fall of 1817, and has been a resident of the state ever since.
Abel F. Peterson, farmer, is a native of this county, and was born July 27, 1841, and was also reared and educated in this county. He was married to Eliza J. St. John, of this county, October 13,
CAESAR'S CREEK TOWNSHIP. - 893
1868, and five children is the result of the union : Mary E., Clarissa A., Orie I., Carrie B., and Cyrus, all of whom are at home with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson are members of the Reformed Church, he uniting at the age of sixteen years. His wife was formerly a member of the Methodist Church, she having united with the Reformed Church after marriage. Mr. Peterson was a member of Company D. One Hundred and Tenth Ohio Volunteers, enlisting August 22, 1862, and discharged October 2, 1862. He was in several heavy battles, among which were the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and Spottsylvania, and came home without a wound.
Alfred Rodgers, blacksmith, is a native of Kentucky, where he was reared and lived until the close of the rebellion, at which time his master (Abram Colwell) was compelled to release him from bondage, together with thirty-nine others. He was born in March, 1829. In December, 1860, was married to Lottie Evans. Henry Grant, their only child, was born September 22,1869. Mr. Rodgers served in the army two years; came to Ohio in 1864, and has since that date been a resident of the state. He has a home, consisting of two acres of land, on which is located a house and blacksmith shop. As a workman he has few superiors, as his increasing business will fully attest. He was taught his trade in Kentucky. His in parents, Robert, who died in 1860, and Kittie (Coldwell), who died 1870, were blessed with twenty-one children, Alfred being the third.
Joseph Saville, farmer, Xenia, is a native of Rockbridge County, Virginia, where he lived until ten years of age, and then came to this county, where he has since lived. Was born February 15, 1817, and came to Ohio in 1827. Was married August 6, 1840, to Hannah Ketterman, of this county; she is also a native of Virginia. Ten children were the result of this union : Andrew C., John L., Milton G., Emiline, Mary J., Martha A., Sarah E., Ellen C., Florence, and one died in her infancy. All of them are living, save Andrew C., and John L., and are all married, save Ellen, who is at home with her parents. Mr. Saville has a farm of one hundred and seventy-five acres, well improved ; farms to both grain and stock. Mr. and Mrs. Saville are members of the Reformed Church, having united with the same in the year 1838. The children were all members of the church until Martha A. and Sarah E. were married, when they connected themselves to the Methodist Church with their husbands. Mr. Saville has been an elder in the church about twenty-five years. The family will some time join the Church Eternal, where they will reap the reward of their earthly labors.